Ideal Logic System 15 - Leaking CH Flow Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, hope you can help! I have an Ideal Logic System 15 boiler (new build house, builders installed) which has a leak from the CH flow valve (gauge thing). I've had it 'fixed' no less than 5 times now - replaced the fibre washer and helped with liquid PTFE. In summer months, it's not on, but now as I'm turning the heating on and setting the boiler to work, there's a drip, drip, drip.

I can get the washer changed for the 6th time but there's clearly an issue here. I can see the new CH flow valve part comes with a curved 90 degree copper pipe - and looks as if that should bend downwards, whereas mine doesn't have that - the pipe connecting to the valve is horizontal... is that ok? Or does that explain the issue? See attached examples;

Image I found on this forum of someone else's setup shows the pipe going down the wall whereas on mine, the 90 degree pipe goes up into the boiler (no pipes coming down). I'm wondering if that's the reason for the persistent leak - any thoughts? It's driving me nuts!

Cheers all.

Attachments

• CH Valve 1.png
    CH Valve 1.png
    983 KB · Views: 989
Sponsored Links
Who's been changing the washer?
It's down to a plumber to fix a leak permanently - not once a week/month! Bring him back and ask him to sort it! Are you/he sure it's leaking from where you think!
It could be the gauge is kaput!

Edit: clear photo of yours would help!

Should be under warranty if it's part of the boiler that's leaking - get Ideal out to it

Was thinking same Muggles - union with system pipework is right on the border of boiler vs installation! Who's responsibility?
If it's upstream of the fibre washer then it's down to the manufacturer no?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies guys! It was late when I posted the thread last night and battery on my phone had gone - I'll update later with photos of my system for you.

@muggles - The boiler is sadly out of warranty - we've been in the house 3 years and Ideal now want £250+ to come out to it. I've had them out twice in warranty.

@dilalio - 2 independent plumbers have been out, twice each over the past 18 months. The last guy said the water was very acidic - it's all brown and smells like battery acid - and feels this may be corroding the fibre washer. I called him this morning and he's suggested that draining and flushing the system may prevent this in future... sounds like a bit of a job??

@ muggles - He also said he'd have a look to see if the drip isn't coming from elsewhere like you've suggested.

Do you guys think the acid in the water would cause a fibre washer to corrode in the space of a few months? It does look pretty brown, and I can't imagine that's good!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back