Ideal Response 120

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Sometimes my combi boiler works fine for weeks at a time then suddenly there`s little or no "response". Problem seemed to occur when boiler placed into "timed" but recently it happens regardless of mode. Symptoms - When HW or CH demanded the burner will not light at all or light breifly{2 to 6 seconds or thereabouts} before turning itself off. Have replaced flame sensing electrode and ignition electrode but no solution. Recently noticed moisture/damp/wetness to flue and heat exchanger. Can anyone help me solve this or shall I just bite the bullet and buy new. Current boiler just over 4 years old.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ideal Responses wish i have never heard of them, intermittent faults that never appear while you are there, heat exchangers that are rubbish and leak at the drop of a hat.

they can be repaired but i would suggest you bin the bloody thing

others will disagree

Ideal have made an additional kit to cut off boiler if internal baffle in heat ex has rotted away which shuts down boiler. Best bet is get a vaillant or worcester bosch

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys, the decision seems unanimous! I guess the moral of this story is - avoid Ideal like the plague! Must dash, going to get some boiler prices.

You might make an interesting post on the IDHEE forum where this same topic is being discussed.

Tony

Ideal have made an additional kit to cut off boiler if internal baffle in heat ex has rotted away which shuts down boiler.
Yes, I kept the one which had been fitted to a Response, which I scrapped because of the failure the kit was intended to prevent...

Have you had Ideal out to carry out the upgrade, I believe it's still foc, also suspect the ignition unit rather than the electrode, this boilers are reaching an age where these ignition units have started failing in droves.

You could look at the flame sensing electrode after the boiler has been OFF for a few hours and see if its wet !

That would mean a leak from the main HE.

A small amount of leakage dries up when the boiler is operating .

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back