Struggling with an Ideal Response 120

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I recently serviced an Ideal response 120 and after finishing the boiler will not light in CH or DHW.

I damaged the seal on the Pressure sensing pipe. The one at the back of the plastic bit that screws onto the fan and i have also misplaced the square gasket at the end of the pipe where it screws into the manifold block. I have tried parts centre but because the manual doesnt quote any numbers they cant order them.

I have manufactued some replacement gaskets from High temp gasket but im not sure if they are working properly.

Where the pressure sensing pipe screws onto the manifold block is the hole at the top right hand corner suppoused to be open or closed over?? I also notice dthis was bunged up with dust etc. Cleaned it out as best i could. If this was blocked would this stop the burner working??

I also replaced the electrodes as i damaged one when taking out the burner assembly. And i have have both sensors out to check thay were okay.

Think that is everything i ahev done. Any ideas as to what is happening??

Grill

Sponsored Links
I think you should learn to be much more careful, organised and gentle when working on boilers!

Its difficult for me to guess what the problem is without information on how far the boiler gets in its start up sequence.

Tony

Hi Tony,

She is going right through the sequence and trying to light but doesnt.

G

Have you tried it with the front cover on???

Have you tried viewing the spark gap out of the chamber to see if its sparking?

I assume you have not tripped the retrofit overheat stat?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony,

I got it sorted eventually. There was something lose on PCB 41. Checked all the fittings and away she went. The reason for the DHW not staying on was a gas valve full of copper sulphide. I am growing to hate that stuff as time goes by.

Would i be right in saying that IDEAL boilers are an absolute b^&ch to work on!!!!

Grill.

The response was one of their finest cock ups I'm afraid, along with the minimiser.

yep, ideal response rates nearly as good as an elm le blanc..........the stuff of nightmares

Just everything that i went to do on it was just a nightmare. I nearly reduced me to tears!!! Didnt help i was hungover as sin mind you!!!!

G

I am glad you got it going in the end! That may teach you to be more gentle with boilers when you are servicing them!

The Responses are really quite easy to work on because they only have three common faults which are easy to identify in a few minutes.

Many RGIs dont really understand them though and they are not that obvious to many people but not really anything to be frightened of. Not ideal for a beginner !

Tony

what are the common faults? Thermisters, PCB Transformer, Impulse Tubes, O Ring flow reg blocking switch, these are all I have really found would you say these are common faults.

Dave

Tony,

Just for future reference can you tell me what the three common faults are and i will add it to my vast bank of boiler knowledge???

G

Most common is the LP switch getting blocked.

Ignition transformer failing.

Last and terminal is the heat exchanger leaking.

Apart from those three faults they are really quite reliable boilers. Unfortunately the leak can occur at ant time.

Recently, I saw one failed after two years BUT the boiler was already the second having been provided by ideal when the first one failed after three years.

Tony

By the way,

In a previous post i said that i fully drained down the boiler and then when i went to pull out the Sensor out of the Heat exchanger i had water pi%^ing everywhere. How is this possible if the boiler was drained down??

Cheers

grill

Was it the HW sensor on the DHW outlet pipe?

You said you were servicing the boiler! Thats one big service!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back