This is it.

Thanks so far for the advice guys.

Attachments

• 20230129_183841_Original.jpeg
    20230129_183841_Original.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 17
Sponsored Links
Thanks.

From a distance, does it look anything like this?

1705272102595.png

Sponsored Links
Decided to take the plunge and get a new boiler as this one is nearly 30 years old now and I have already swapped the fan twice, was looking at heat pumps but read that they aren’t good if your house isn’t new (mine was built 1996].

As above we have what I think is called a system boiler ideal LX FF with a separate tank, we have 2 showers which are rarely used at the same time 1 bath and in total 4 hot taps and 11 rads. 3 bed detached. Is a combi a good idea? What KW is advisable please? I also like the idea of getting rid of the tank upstairs. I remember getting a quote a while ago and they said I would need a feed to the boiler, is that the same if we have the new boiler where the tank currently is?

Thanks in advance you bunch of friendly plumber folk

Reactions: CBW
Decided to take the plunge and get a new boiler as this one is nearly 30 years old now and I have already swapped the fan twice, was looking at heat pumps but read that they aren’t good if your house isn’t new (mine was built 1996].

As above we have what I think is called a system boiler ideal LX FF with a separate tank, we have 2 showers which are rarely used at the same time 1 bath and in total 4 hot taps and 11 rads. 3 bed detached. Is a combi a good idea? What KW is advisable please? I also like the idea of getting rid of the tank upstairs. I remember getting a quote a while ago and they said I would need a feed to the boiler, is that the same if we have the new boiler where the tank currently is?

Thanks in advance you bunch of friendly plumber folk
Wouldn’t recommend a combi for 2 showers. Perhaps keep existing cylinder or upgrade to unvented cylinder, flow rate dependant.

Is a combi a good idea?

Maybe, maybe not, much depends upon your lifestle, and how you use hot water and heating.

A combi has to heat the water instantly, from cold, as the cold passes through it, so flow of hot is generally slower to appear, and less than you would get from your present system with a cylinder. So, delays filling a hot bath, delays filling a washing up bowl, and more wasted water.

What KW is advisable please?
I remember getting a quote a while ago and they said I would need a feed to the boiler,

A combi boiler needs to be a much higher Kw, that other boilers, in order to be able to produce the hot water, and usually that means less economic for ch. Because it is higher Kw output, it demands more gas, so the gas pipe will likely need to be replaced with a new, larger one, from the meter to the combi-boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back