Ideal standard lx boiler keeps firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

my boiler is a little old but I am waiting until it completely gives up to replace it. At the moment it keeps firing up time after time hot water and rads seem fine, it does settle after a while. What could the issue be please?

I have already replace the fan in the past for a different issue.

Also whilst I have your attention when it does come to replace old boilie how much would a new economical boiler save me each month please? Currently paying £106 for gas and leki per month, 3 bed detached.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don’t know about the savings on a new boiler. Your current boiler, does it have a preheat function? If so it might just be that.

have a look to see if you have zone valves, if you do you might have a sticking micro switch in one of them

Sponsored Links
Hi,

not a clue what zone valve are sorry.

This morning I have whacked the thermostat on 30 and the boiler is firing up for 20 seconds then cuts out then fires up again, the temp is creeping up slowly but after a couple of hours still isn’t up to temp.

Hi,

I did google them and still none the wiser, I only have one thermostat.

Hi, pictures of my water tank attached

Attachments

• 4DC1AA6B-F239-47A3-8E7E-9264D273A4C3.jpeg
    4DC1AA6B-F239-47A3-8E7E-9264D273A4C3.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 258
  • F735618F-2C98-4D6F-B576-61E661BA03A2.jpeg
    F735618F-2C98-4D6F-B576-61E661BA03A2.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 256
The little box at the bottom is wobbly and seems to be connected to the green tank just by a copper wire, is this a thermostat?

I'm not sure what your problem actually is. Older boilers have a thermostat that simply switch the burner 'on' and 'off' to maintain the temperature of the water leaving it at the level set on the boiler thermostat.

So, for example, if you have a Ideal LX FF 250, it's maximum heat output is '15kW'. When the heating comes on from cold, it will probably run continually for most for the time. Eventually the water returning to the boiler will start to warm up and even get hot, so less heat will be required to return it to the set temperature and the burner will cycle 'on' and 'off'. If the demand for heat drops to 7.5kW then the burner will be 'on' for 50% of the time and 'off' for 50% of the time.

As time progresses and the heating system warms up, the burner 'on' time will get shorter and the 'off' time longer. If this is what you are referring to by:
At the moment it keeps firing up time after time

....then that is what I would expect. If it kept firing continually the water would actually boil.

If I look through the sight glass the burner is on and fully lit but then it will go off fully then fire back up almost immediately.

I have uploaded a picture of my pumps also.

Attachments

• IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 228
Also, is my hot water tank sufficiently insulated? (Apart from all the old curtains...) should it not have a jacket on?

The green foam cover is the insulation, if you look where the pipes enter you will see that it's quite thick. If it didn't have any insulation on, the cylinder would be as hot to the touch as the hot water coming out of your taps.

40 years ago the hot water cylinders didn't come with insulation so then a separate jacket was fitted.

Thanks Stem, so no further insulation required?

I have been running the thermostat all day at 30 but it is still not up to 30, what could be the problem please?

What thermostat are you talking about? If it's a room thermostat that's very high I wouldn't expect you home to get up to 30 degrees :eek: 19 to 21 degrees would be more usual. The speedometer in my VW golf goes up to 160 MPH, but I doubt it would ever reach it.

If it's the hot water cylinder thermostat that's very low, 60 degrees or above would be more usual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back