Ideal Vogue Combi C32 Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,

I wonder if anyone can offer any advice. I've got an Ideal Vogue Combi Boiler (C32) and with all the recent cold weather we've been having our house has started to get very cold. As we run our own business from our house we are here 24/7. We have had the programmable room stat (Ideal PRT4) in our living room.

A bit of background. Our house is a 4 bed detached house, 1 main bathroom, 1 ensuite, 1 toilet downstairs and office (was garage/bedroom). We do not have a hallway but our living room has 2 x radiators in it each controlled by TRV's. I do not have a separate water tank, everything is done from the boiler. The boiler is situated in a cupboard at the top of the stairs in what used to be an airing cupboard.

I have set the living room temperature to be about 18 degrees and set the heating programmer to be continuously on. Now when it reaches 18 degrees the boiler doesn't turn off. At night we leave it continuously on so that it stays a constant livable temperature. However, I can always hear the Boiler burning at night.

I've had the system in since we moved into the house in 2015 but never really had to do anything with it until now.

If I've got the Boiler heating set to be continuously on and the temperature on the programmer set to 18C, then in my mind when the room reaches that temperature the boiler should go off until such a time as that temperature drops then it should kick in again. The radiators are already hot, the temperature I've got it set to on the boiler for radiator is 65C. ALL 10 Radiators have got TRV's on them.

I've done a little experiment and set the two radiator TRV's, where the programmable thermostat is located (living room), to max and put it on continuous again however after an hour the boiler was still going. Checking the display on the boiler it said radiator temp was at 45C (dial on front is set to 65C) and the programmable thermostat temperature was at the target 18C but the boiler was still on.

Can anyone offer any advice at all as to why the boiler seems to be behaving this way? Is there anything I should look at? It has had a regular service since it was installed in 2015 with the first being in 2016.

Sorry for the long winded post, I do apologise but I'm trying to understand how this thing works.

Kind Regards,

Brett

Sponsored Links
First and foremost, every boiler needs makers recommended service carried out at regular intervals.
7 years and counting, no removal of burner, no checking the diverter, no FGA etc list does not stop here
Get the boiler serviced as required, chances are boiler will start functioning correctly

BTW, the rads where the thermostat is located, the TRVs should be fully open
Look at Evohome for better control
This boiler will run better with OT

Reactions: CBW
First and foremost, every boiler needs makers recommended service carried out at regular intervals.
7 years and counting, no removal of burner, no checking the diverter, no FGA etc list does not stop here
Get the boiler serviced as required, chances are boiler will start functioning correctly

BTW, the rads where the thermostat is located, the TRVs should be fully open
Look at Evohome for better control
This boiler will run better with OT
As stated towards the bottom of my post the boiler has had a regular service every year since installed. With the first being in 2016.

When does the thermostat knock the boiler/heating off?

Sponsored Links
When does the thermostat knock the boiler/heating off?
This is the thing, when it's on continuous it doesn't turn off when it reaches the target temperature. However, when it's on timed setting it does turn on and off as required at the specified times but again, not when it reaches thebyarget temperature. The boiler is still active with a demand for the radiators.

• Thanks
Have you tried new batteries in the thermostat?

Just check in your thermostat manual that the continual setting your using is not for the heating to run continually irrespective of set temperature.

As stated towards the bottom of my post the boiler has had a regular service every year since installed. With the first being in 2016.
How long does the service take?
A service carried out with analyser and not taking the cover off the boiler is not a service.
Often this is what the customer gets- a boiler check only which is called a service.

How long does the service take?
A service carried out with analyser and not taking the cover off the boiler is not a service.
Often this is what the customer gets- a boiler check only which is called a service.
The service takes just over an hour usually and during this time the cover is taken off and all the internals cleaned out, Gas Readings taken, pressure check etc. It is the most thorough job I've seen.

Just check in your thermostat manual that the continual setting your using is not for the heating to run continually irrespective of set temperature.
Unfortunately the manual for the thermostat isn't that helpful with descriptions of what a certain setting does.

Is the house overshooting the target temperature, or is the room with the thermostat in being maintained at the target temperature? If it's maintaining the set temperature then it sounds like the boiler is just modulating to match the demand and everything is working perfectly.

Think of it as like driving a car. You don't reach your target speed, take your foot completely off the throttle, wait for the speed to drop a bit, then go to maximum throttle to get back to your original target speed. You use more power initially to get to your target speed, then you reduce the throttle (and therefore power) to a level which will maintain that speed. Your boiler should do the same - reduce power but keep putting a bit in to maintain temperature.

• Thanks
you will have to remove the TRV sensor head in the room that has the room thermostat, they are conflicting each other

• Thanks
The service takes just over an hour usually and during this time the cover is taken off and all the internals cleaned out, Gas Readings taken, pressure check etc. It is the most thorough job I've seen.
Is the burner removed and heat exchanger air side flushed

Is the burner removed and heat exchanger air side flushed
Yes I believe so. I don't know I'm not the one doing the service. The guy who installed it is a registered gas safe engineer and it is him that does the service. I've stood and watched a few times and there is quite a bit of it taken to bits and cleaned out etc.

Reactions: DP
I've done a little experiment and set the two radiator TRV's, where the programmable thermostat is located (living room), to max and put it on continuous again however after an hour the boiler was still going. Checking the display on the boiler it said radiator temp was at 45C (dial on front is set to 65C) and the programmable thermostat temperature was at the target 18C but the boiler was still on.

Is it using OpenTherm? Maybe it is adjusting the flow temperature to keep the room temperature stable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back