Ideas on back garden workshop outbuilding shed construction materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to build a workshop around 8x5m on my back garden. Ideally would need to be warm enough to be used during winter without freezing.

As I have a limited budget, I`m looking for any suggestion on materials and construction methology to optimise the outcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As a woodworker Id say...wood

but its gone up in price something terrible

If its on a budget: get some upvc windows and doors 2nd hand on ebay -they can be surprisingly good

An indication of your budget would help.

If you have the means to transport it, you can often pick up used sectional concrete garages on eBay. They usually need a replacement roof but are quick and easy to reassemble and are essentially modular so can go together in any shape. They will sit on the slab so don't need any real foundations. They can be insulated and lined internally for comfort and clad externally with timber or cement cladding like Marley Cedral at a later stage when you have more money available.

For that size, if you could get a couple of garages cheap you could produce something reasonable for as little as £2,000 - about £1000 for the slab with the remainder going on roofing materials (flat EPDM probably the easiest/cheapest DIY option), used windows/door and a bit of insulation, if you can find a source of used pallets they can be used to line it internally, build racking etc.

A nicely built brick building with a tiled pitched roof, new windows and doors will be 5-10k.

Sponsored Links
Planning to build a workshop around 8x5m on my back garden. Ideally would need to be warm enough to be used during winter without freezing.

As I have a limited budget, I`m looking for any suggestion on materials and construction methology to optimise the outcome.

Thanks

Limited budget and winter use - this isn't a joke, get some insulated overalls, it's like wearing a duvet. Don't think about trying to heat a shed.

I have a door and windows from the house renovation.

What about walls in blockwork with insulation in the middle? I could clad it in the future.

Where I can see load of money going out is the roof. Would you suggest flat or pitched tiled roof? I would keep it under 4 maximum 5k

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back