If there are telemarketers in the UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do you handle them?

A lawyer at the gym where I work out has advised me against making credible threats of imminent and serious bodily injury. :(

Sponsored Links
Say nothing and put the phone down.

If that don't work, pick the phone up, leave it on the side for a bit while you get on with stuff.

Or ask them for several forms of ID just so that you're sure they are who they say they are.

Say nothing and put the phone down.

If that don't work, pick the phone up, leave it on the side for a bit while you get on with stuff.

Or ask them for several forms of ID just so that you're sure they are who they say they are.

Wow - radical stuff. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have imitated
answering machines
someone with a speech impediment
and a computer hooked to a speech synthesizer
and that sometimes throws them off.

When I was compelled to do telemarketing for a while I had only one rude person in 6 months. George Stout of Utah told me to have sex with myself.

These callers know all about us from list brokers and the like. There is no more privacy.

Sponsored Links
I've heard that blowing a loud whistle right next to the mouthpiece can be quite effective.

These calls are a nuisance, but remember that the callers are only doing a job, and it's not a job most people would envy.

There's no need to be rude or offensive to them, just tell them firmly and politely that you don't want whatever it is they're selling. If they persist, just tell them you will hang up, and do so.

TPF. Not had a marketing call in 10 years.

I get calls on my mobile at least 3 times a week, from "number withheld " I always answer these and usually get a recorded message telling me "You could be entitled to claim back any PPI, you have paid. Please press 5 on your mobile to speak to an operator." I usually cancel the call after the " You could be" , but recently I started letting the recording play all the way through. It's their money they're paying for the call, so let them waste it.

i am registered with the telephone preference service
i get few calls but the ones i do get go like this

big all-- heeelllooo
person-- is that big all
big all-- who is this where did you get my number from please remove me from your list

if they carry on i just say thank you but i am not interested and hang up

9 times out off 10 they hang up at the point i ask them where they got my number

actually had one last week who said the couldnt understand my accent
:D :D :D

result got my own back ;)

actually had one last week who said the couldnt understand my accent
:D :D :D
That reminds me, I guess I could speak my own version of German to these people.
Speaking Spanish won't work, too many speak it over here. And Farsi. And Hindi. And Amharic.

Do what I do, just speak broken English very fast, boy do they hang up fast on you :LOL: ;)

These calls are a nuisance, but remember that the callers are only doing a job, and it's not a job most people would envy.

There's no need to be rude or offensive to them, just tell them firmly and politely that you don't want whatever it is they're selling. If they persist, just tell them you will hang up, and do so.
True but if they are speaking poor English or speaking too fast then I have no time for them

Sponsored Links
Back