If you thing BG is expensive ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son's Ideal istor has given up the fight; so he is urgently looking for a replacement. He asked a local company (not BG but advertises on TV) to visit, advise what to install and provide a quote. The rep called yesterday. A combi was discussed but ruled out as there are six in the family. So a system boiler and unvented was agreed. The approximate price £5k to £5.5k!!

Sponsored Links
About right, 2 days work.

What make is the boiler and unvented cylinder?
Don't know the make, but I guess it's either a WB or Vaillant as the firm is on both approved lists.

2 days work for how many people?

The only reason for approaching the firm is that they are able to provide a finance option (presumably through the boiler manufacturer). My son would prefer to use the independent engineer who has managed to keep the istor going for the last four years, but doesn't think he can provide any finance.

Sponsored Links
£5,500 for a boiler replacement? Or is this a complete refit. Why unvented? If existing system is vented and provides adequate pressure on DHW then what is the point of going unvented?

Get some more prices- OK you are in the expensive South but that sounds a bit rich even for down there. (Guide price for Oop North on a written quote about 4 months ago £3600 + VAT for full install from nowt for a 4 bedroom house- system boiler, DHW cylinder, all header tanks, 7 rads upstairs, 7 rads downstairs, all pipework incl new gas pipework from meter, price includes entire system fully fitted & commissioned. )

£5,500 for a boiler replacement? Or is this a complete refit. Why unvented? If existing system is vented and provides adequate pressure on DHW then what is the point of going unvented?

Get some more prices- OK you are in the expensive South but that sounds a bit rich even for down there. (Guide price for Oop North on a written quote about 4 months ago £3600 + VAT for full install from nowt for a 4 bedroom house- system boiler, DHW cylinder, all header tanks, 7 rads upstairs, 7 rads downstairs, all pipework incl new gas pipework from meter, price includes entire system fully fitted & commissioned. )

Wow, roll out the working tax credits!

If you were getting a full installation for £3600 + then I would be questioning their working practices. They're more expensive than that off ebay!

So £3600 + VAT is £4400 give or take. Not so far off now is it. OP hasn't stated whether it is or not but I would hazard a guess it is.

@D_Hailsham seems a fair price for a good job and decent gear. One thing I would suggest is that if your son wants to pay by installments with his independent he could check to see if he takes card payments and maybe spread the cost over a 0% interest credit card. Just a thought, might even save you on finance fees!

Jon

Frankly, I would speculate that you should be more concerned about the APR on the finance than the cost of the work.

The Istor is a combined unvented cylinder and boiler remember. So will need a fair bit more work than just a boiler replacement.
;)

Apologies for confusion- point I was trying to make was if that £5500 is for a full system then it isn't a bad deal, if it is just for a boiler replacement then it seems a tad on the high side :)

Apologies for confusion- point I was trying to make was if that £5500 is for a full system then it isn't a bad deal, if it is just for a boiler replacement then it seems a tad on the high side :)
But Istor isn't just a boiler

But Istor isn't just a boiler
Indeed- but it isn't a full system either (pipes, radiators etc). I suppose one reason for an integrated box like that is if space is at a premium (which usually makes the job more expensive)....

The existing Istor is a combined 120 litre unvented cylinder and 24kW boiler. So it will need replacing by a separate cylinder and boiler. This does pose problems due to the vertical space available. A 150 litre cylinder is about the largest possible. One possibility is to locate the cylinder in the unheated "airing" cupboard on the floor below, which will involve some alterations to the pipe work. The other difficulty is accessing the roof to fit the flue - it's a three storey mid-terrace, so scaffolding or a tower would be required. But I would expect a large company with very many employees would have the need for this equipment on a regular basis, so it would make sense to have their own equipment and not have to employ a scaffolder or hire a tower.

Given all the above, I still think £5,500 is excessive. BG has been asked to quote.

Do the customer needs a boiler and a dent cylinder package with controls and wiring etc so not a straight boiler change

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back