If you've got elderly relatives ....act now

Sponsored Links
john d is correct
a will is cast in stone if formalized it overrides maritiral rights as its a seperate contract if you dont cancel a contract it is still in force
marrying someone doesn't cancel a contract in place before you marry
yes you have the marrage vowes about sharing worldly goods but that cannot overide a previous contract
so its the duty off the people getting married to mention old valid contracts

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
john d is correct
a will is cast in stone if formalized it overrides maritiral rights as its a seperate contract if you dont cancel a contract it is still in force
marrying someone doesn't cancel a contract in place before you marry
https://www.netlawman.co.uk/ia/will-effect-marriage-divorce#Effect of marriage on your will

"
Effect of marriage on your will
When you marry, any existing will is automatically revoked (cancelled) and becomes no longer valid.

If you do not make a new one, then when you die the law of intestacy decides how your assets are divided. Usually, your entire estate would go to your wife, husband or civil partner"

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-true-getting-remarried-invalidates-will.html
https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/news-events/blog/marriage-divorce-your-will/

Forgive me for thinking that getting married invalidates the will.

https://www.netlawman.co.uk/ia/will-effect-marriage-divorce#Effect of marriage on your will

"
Effect of marriage on your will
When you marry, any existing will is automatically revoked (cancelled) and becomes no longer valid.

If you do not make a new one, then when you die the law of intestacy decides how your assets are divided. Usually, your entire estate would go to your wife, husband or civil partner"

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-true-getting-remarried-invalidates-will.html
https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/news-events/blog/marriage-divorce-your-will/

ok thank you we live and learn
thanks for updating my my well thought out but obviously wrong assumptions

It is fairly obvious.

Why would you think wives get half in a divorce but would get nothing if husband died with will leaving everything to someone else.

its often difficult for the elderly to relinquish control :D
also worth mentioning get them to involve you and letting you know about all there interests like services banking and savings and other commitments
when my dad died he saved all his paperwork from closed bank accounts where he transferred from one isa to the next every year or so this caused many a letter to ask iff they had any funds in his name which as an executor tripled or more the workload sorting out where his assets where before discharging all charges and due bills on his estate before:oops: distribution

You weren't an executor on your dad's will then ? Surely then you could have done that yourself and saved on whoever was charging a fee ?

It's a common mistake.

What you actually said (and I replied to) was "But will's are pointless once married - everything goes to the spouse, doesn't matter what is written in a will." Of course, (1) a will is not pointless, even if you're married (2) everything does not automatically go to the spouse even if you are married (3) a will made prior to a marriage is usually, but not always, invalidated by marriage.

(1) If you make your will after you are married, it is perfectly valid
(2) Rules of intestacy apply, if there is no valid will
(3) If you make a will in contemplation of marriage (prior to the wedding) it is valid afterwards

It's a common mistake.

What you actually said (and I replied to) was "But will's are pointless once married - everything goes to the spouse, doesn't matter what is written in a will." Of course, (1) a will is not pointless, even if you're married (2) everything does not automatically go to the spouse even if you are married (3) a will made prior to a marriage is usually, but not always, invalidated by marriage.

(1) If you make your will after you are married, it is perfectly valid
(2) Rules of intestacy apply, if there is no valid will
(3) If you make a will in contemplation of marriage (prior to the wedding) it is valid afterwards
First of all, I was asked if my dad had a will. My dad isn't married yet so I replied it will be not valid once he is married.
I wasn't incorrect although you have told me I was.

1-I never said that my dad couldn't make another will. I never said it wouldn't be valid if he did so. I am well aware of the fact.
2-Yes, the rules of intestacy apply where there is no valid will - meaning (depending on the amount left) would go to the spouse as it does in most cases. I never said otherwise.
3- Yes people can do that, but as there are many people who are not aware of the fact that marriage invalidates the will, how many would actually think about doing that before getting married?

I feel, again, that you are nitpicking and trying to score points where there is no real reason in order to do so. Other people on this thread managed to follow what I was saying and nobody else seem to want to nitpick.

you can rake this over and over if you want to. It won't do any good.

this is what I replied to

But will's are pointless once married - everything goes to the spouse, doesn't matter what is written in a will.

It's still wrong.

It's still wrong.

What is wrong with you? Seriously?
I wrote what I wrote in response to someone else asking me if my dad had a will. It was perfectly fine in response to that and wasn't incorrect, but yes, it could've included all the rest of the information about writing a new will etc etc but it was perfectly ok taken in context to answering the question.

When you told me in a condescending manner that I was wrong I replied this to explain further what I meant:
Wills written prior to getting married becomes invalid.
So you ignored that, told me I was wrong again and went back to the original post, just to nitpick.

Is it really necessary to go on and and on and on and turn yet another thread into a silly long winded waste of time?

you can rake this over and over if you want to.

Sponsored Links
Back