Ikea light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought this Ikea light fitting at the weekend it was very cheap that aside it's for a cupboard and I noticed that it does not appear to have anything marked for live or neutral connectors nor does it have an earth connection point as its all mainly plastic.
Question is what do I do with the earth white and does it matter which way the live neutral go??
IMG_20170125_081631.jpg
IMG_20170125_081631.jpg
IMG_20170125_081623.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sleeve the earth wiore in green/yellow sleeve and put the end into a small terminal block. ( which you will have to supply ).

If the lamp ( the bulb ) is bayonet cap ( push and quarter turn ) and there is no switch in the fitting then it does not matter which way Live and Neutral are connected.

If the lamp is screw cap then the Neutral should go to the terminal that connected to the threaded part of the lamp holder and the Live to the central pip of the fitting. Not essential but it reduces the risk of electric shock when changing a lamp and touching the metal screw after forgetting to ensure the light switch is OFF

I actually took a load of lights back to ikea that the mrs bought because I wasn't happy with how they were supposed to be wired. There was no strain relief on the cables

Sponsored Links
That's not what motorbiking meant by "strain relief". He meant something which grips the cable to stop any strain being placed on the electrical connections.

I actually took a load of lights back to ikea that the mrs bought because I wasn't happy with how they were supposed to be wired. There was no strain relief on the cables
Fair enough - but I'm not convinced that I have often come across any light fittings with decent (if any) strain relief.

Kind Regards, John

most £5 pendants at least have internal hooks to wind the flex around and a clip to keep it slack in the screw top.

Isn't this thing going to be screwed to the ceiling?

There will be no flex; just the fixed cable.

most £5 pendants at least have internal hooks to wind the flex around and a clip to keep it slack in the screw top.
Yes, but that's in relation to a bit of cable dangling into the room, and quite likely to get yanked. I was talking about proper 'light fittings', not pendants, in which case all cable would be 'contained' within the fitting, hence not able to be 'tampered with'. I've rarely seen them with stress relief, but nor do I really see that they need it. Lets face it, a very high proportion of electrical accessories (switches, sockets etc.) have no cable restraint within them.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back