Illegal installation

John, I would get the certificate done retrospectively if it meant an easier sale; it doesn't usually cost that much extra. I had to do it for a new downstairs toilet recently after that 'final inspection' where the supervisor came along and asked who did the electrics. I hated parting with £62.50 (after 50% discount) for no further visits and a completion certificate, but it was that or not get the whole thing signed off.
That's surely totally different - it may not 'cost that much extra' if one is adding it on to an existing application/notification but, if it were not part of another project, they would, AIUI, usually charge at least what the notification fee would have been at the time, often up to double that figure (i.e. potentially 'hundreds of pounds' in total).

I would have to be very desperate to sell to go down that route. Indeed, even then, it would be cheaper to do a deal with the buyer to 'split the cost' (i.e. reduce the asking price by half of what certification would cost) in return for him stopping asking for an LABC certificate. After all, that certificate is never going to be of the slightest use to the buyer!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Unless the vendor has actually lied, e.g. said it has a new roof when obviously it hasn't, less ovious with electrical work, then all he has to say is that whatever you are querying has been considered when deciding the price.

If the seller says the property is as you see it with the services in usual condition then no matter what the buyer thinks is 'wrong' all he will be doing is haggling over that price.

Unless the vendor has actually lied, e.g. said it has a new roof when obviously it hasn't, less ovious with electrical work, then all he has to say is that whatever you are querying has been considered when deciding the price.
Exactly. As I've often said, whenever I've been involved with the selling of property (and some members of my family are doing it all the time), it has been made very clear to prospective buyers that we are aware of the condition of the house and potential issues with it, and have taken that into account when deciding upon the asking price. Prospective buyers are told that they are obviously free to spend as much as they want on surveys and inspections but that there is no question of our reducing price on the basis of whatever those surveys/inspections might reveal.

Kind Regards, John

That's surely totally different - it may not 'cost that much extra' if one is adding it on to an existing application/notification.
No John, that was a self-EIC price, it was not discounted because it was part of something bigger.

Sponsored Links
No John, that was a self-EIC price, it was not discounted because it was part of something bigger.
I must be living in the wrong place, then! Whatever, as I said, I doubt that I would go down that route, whatever the price (not, of course, that I would have failed to notify work in the first place :) )!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back