I'm qualified to be confused...

D

dextrous

....by the fact that there are to be 6000 fewer places at universities this year after 0.5 billion drop in cash allocation, and yet the government want more people to go there? How does that work out then?

Sponsored Links
They send the failures to 'Technical Colleges'.
Keeps the unemployment figures down.

The dilemma I have is that the government's stance on most things is that in order to make things bigger and better, money has to be spent. Now, however, for things to continue to get bigger and better, less money has to be spent. I just can't work it out. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Whinnying bloody students! :evil:
No worries, there'll be 6000 fewer of them this year, which will no doubt reflect an increase of the number of people going to university.

With audit skills like these, I sometimes wonder if the government might not always be telling us the entire truth about one or two things.

Hope my youngest isn't going to miss out she's determined thats the way she wan'ts to go,the 6000 less places do they cover all subjects or only certain placements.

Hope my youngest isn't going to miss out she's determined thats the way she wan'ts to go,the 6000 less places do they cover all subjects or only certain placements.
Think it varies from place to place. However, what is disheartening for the year 13 students ("upper 6th" in old money) in my school is that some of the courses they have been accepted onto have been cancelled which means having to change their preferred options, or the offers they have been given are being "upped" which is a bit of a nuisance to discover that what was ok is now no more.

Sorry Dex, I'm moving tangentially (just for a sec), but I just wanted to make a point on degrees in general.

Personally I feel there is too much emphasis placed on 'having a degree'. I'm educated to post grad level (Human Resources). My qualifications haven't been ANY use to me 'in the work place'. The argument would be that the 'studying' has improved my skills and thus I have used the qualifications. My argument is that I had those skills anyway, studying for a degree etc just forces you to use them. However, my qualifications have probably opened some doors that I may not have otherwise been welcome at. And it is that point that I take issue with. Working in HR as I did, I have lost count of the amount of times I have challenged managers who have outlined a degree as being a required qualification to carry out certain jobs. Those managers had a 'old boys club' mentality toward their recruitment. They had a certain degree of snobbery surrounding degrees. Don't get me wrong, there are roles within industry that do require a certain degree but there are very intelligent people out there who for whatever reason, do not have a degree. A degree 'can be' a useful tool in recruitment but it should not be a 'requirement' in all cases.

Let me add though that studying for a degree can be a very enjoyable and motivating experience and I would never suggest that it is something that shouldn't be done if that's what someone wants to do.

Anyway, back to Dex's thread. Sorry again Dex. :oops:

Blas, now't wrong with your post - it's all related. After all, if they're cutting univ placements, or aspiring for 50% of school leavers to go to uni, then it's a perfectly reasonable question to consider the benefits of studying for a degree.

My own take on these matters is not that a degree actually "teaches" you things that you need to know for your future employment, but more that you demonstrate that you are able to understand obscure subject matters and stick with the hassle of trying to make sense of them.

This view goes right the way down the "education" scale, whether it be National Curriculum levels, GCSEs, A-levels or whatever. You are always showing your ability to understand certain levels of weird things, most of which will have no bearing nor use throughout the remainder of your life.

Blas, now't wrong with your post - it's all related. After all, if they're cutting univ placements, or aspiring for 50% of school leavers to go to uni, then it's a perfectly reasonable question to consider the benefits of studying for a degree.

My own take on these matters is not that a degree actually "teaches" you things that you need to know for your future employment, but more that you demonstrate that you are able to understand obscure subject matters and stick with the hassle of trying to make sense of them.

This view goes right the way down the "education" scale, whether it be National Curriculum levels, GCSEs, A-levels or whatever. You are always showing your ability to understand certain levels of weird things, most of which will have no bearing nor use throughout the remainder of your life.
I totally agree.

like it or not, todays recruiters now look for degrees where they are of no practical use. you would think that nurses would be required to demonstrate hands-on practical abilities, as that is what basic nursing boils down to . so what do you need for entry?.. degrees are going to be entry level quals very soon. useful skills will be of secondary importance. it's mad.

like it or not, todays recruiters now look for degrees where they are of no practical use. you would think that nurses would be required to demonstrate hands-on practical abilities, as that is what basic nursing boils down to . so what do you need for entry?.. degrees are going to be entry level quals very soon. useful skills will be of secondary importance. it's mad.
Again, I agree.

I understand that nurses are being trained to carry out more of what a doctor might normally do but the principle of nursing is 'caring'. My worry, and I've seen a LOT of nurses in the last 2 years, is that these new 'degree nurses' will be less interested in 'caring' and more interested in a 'career'. Again, there is NOTHING wrong in aspiring to be better and wanting a rewarding career but in this case it must not be at the cost of caring.

Indeed. I've said it before and will continue to argue for having proper professional degrees for trades, a bit like apprenticeships of yesteryear but with certain differences. Thus, for example, after 3 or 4 years of study, you could walk out of a uni with a degree in plumbing which has incorporated a range of bookwork skills and knowledge plus a load of practical experience. You would, in effect, be qualfied and experienced enough to be an RGI and trade accordingly. Similar for many other trades.

Indeed. I've said it before and will continue to argue for having proper professional degrees for trades, a bit like apprenticeships of yesteryear but with certain differences. Thus, for example, after 3 or 4 years of study, you could walk out of a uni with a degree in plumbing which has incorporated a range of bookwork skills and knowledge plus a load of practical experience. You would, in effect, be qualfied and experienced enough to be an RGI and trade accordingly. Similar for many other trades.
You know, you're going up all the time in my estimations sir. That seems to me like a VERY clever idea. Have you thought about politics? I'd vote for ya.

Anyway, I better get off to nod. I've agreed to help out at my son's school trip tomorrow! Bloody Academia!!!! :D ;)

Sponsored Links
Back