I'm qualified to be confused...

like it or not, todays recruiters now look for degrees where they are of no practical use. you would think that nurses would be required to demonstrate hands-on practical abilities, as that is what basic nursing boils down to . so what do you need for entry?.. degrees are going to be entry level quals very soon. useful skills will be of secondary importance. it's mad.
Again, I agree.

I understand that nurses are being trained to carry out more of what a doctor might normally do but the principle of nursing is 'practical'. My worry, and I've seen a LOT of nurses in the last 2 years, is that these new 'degree nurses' will be less interested in 'caring' and more interested in a 'career'. Again, there is NOTHING wrong in aspiring to be better and wanting a rewarding career but in this case it must not be at the cost of caring.

unfortunately, you are 100% right, although it is the system which is encouraging this shift in emphasis, not the nurse entrants.

Sponsored Links
like it or not, todays recruiters now look for degrees where they are of no practical use. you would think that nurses would be required to demonstrate hands-on practical abilities, as that is what basic nursing boils down to . so what do you need for entry?.. degrees are going to be entry level quals very soon. useful skills will be of secondary importance. it's mad.
Again, I agree.

I understand that nurses are being trained to carry out more of what a doctor might normally do but the principle of nursing is 'practical'. My worry, and I've seen a LOT of nurses in the last 2 years, is that these new 'degree nurses' will be less interested in 'caring' and more interested in a 'career'. Again, there is NOTHING wrong in aspiring to be better and wanting a rewarding career but in this case it must not be at the cost of caring.

unfortunately, you are 100% right, although it is the system which is encouraging this shift in emphasis, not the nurse entrants.
They teach them nowt :evil: Just before my Mrs. retired having started @ th e bottom of the pile years ago- and ended up with many quals. in various nusing areas- She said to a Degree nurse " that patient is running a temp. " How do you know says deg. nurse Have you done the obs :rolleyes: FFS they treat patients like the clowns in Fast Fit car repair centres. And know as much, pro rata.

Sorry Dex, I'm moving tangentially (just for a sec), but I just wanted to make a point on degrees in general.

Personally I feel there is too much emphasis placed on 'having a degree'. I'm educated to post grad level (Human Resources). My qualifications haven't been ANY use to me 'in the work place'. The argument would be that the 'studying' has improved my skills and thus I have used the qualifications. My argument is that I had those skills anyway, studying for a degree etc just forces you to use them. However, my qualifications have probably opened some doors that I may not have otherwise been welcome at. And it is that point that I take issue with. Working in HR as I did, I have lost count of the amount of times I have challenged managers who have outlined a degree as being a required qualification to carry out certain jobs. Those managers had a 'old boys club' mentality toward their recruitment. They had a certain degree of snobbery surrounding degrees. Don't get me wrong, there are roles within industry that do require a certain degree but there are very intelligent people out there who for whatever reason, do not have a degree. A degree 'can be' a useful tool in recruitment but it should not be a 'requirement' in all cases.

Let me add though that studying for a degree can be a very enjoyable and motivating experience and I would never suggest that it is something that shouldn't be done if that's what someone wants to do.

Anyway, back to Dex's thread. Sorry again Dex. :oops:

slightly off topic. or is it a hijack.... :D

I don't have a degree. I am just a skilled armature winder/electrical fitter with my c&g qualification.
Yesterday I was discussing a problem with 2 senior electrical engineers from a large power station who had 'letters' after their names. The problem concerned the 2 mechanical seals on a 285Kw submersible pump which pumps sea water into the power station. They were talking in big technical terms regarding flow rates, carbide/silicon compatability, drag effects etc. Type of stuff most people would not have a clue about.
I stood there and tried to look as though I knew what they were waffling about, nodding occassionally and umming in the right places.
Then I asked if we could back track to basics for a moment.
"When they raised the pump off the low-loader from the horizontal to the vertical did they use 1 hoist or 2?"
"Just the one, he hooked into the lifting handle and raised it straight up." came the reply.
Me: "Did he crab the jib along as it was rising or did he just lift straight?"
Techie: "Just lifted straight and as he did the base slid along the lorry."
Me: "Any problems dropping it into the bore hole and sliding it down the guide rails?"
Techie: "Well, when it landed at the bottom it didn't sit right so he had to raise it a few feet then drop it quicker to try and displace the sand that had built up."
Me: "Just the once?"
Techie2. "No about 4 or 5 times then when it still didn't sit he raised it completely and laid it back down on the ground. Landed with quite a thump actually."
Me: "Gentlemen, there lies the answer. Silicone Carbide seals are very brittle, the rough handling has cracked them and that is why they have failed. They pressure tested ok before despatch as can be seen by my test report."
Both Techies: "Oh."

These guys are supposed to know everything concerning the installation of equipment on a major power plant yet didn't understand the basics of equipment handling so their uni degrees/diplomas did them no good.
Degrees are useful, but so is basic knowledge of what you are doing.

Sponsored Links
I don't have a degree. I am just a skilled armature winder/electrical fitter with my c&g qualification.
With respect conny, please don't do yourself down. Being a 'qualified, highly skilled armature winder/electrical fitter' doesn't deserve the word 'just' mate.

With respect conny, please don't do yourself down. Being a 'qualified, highly skilled armature winder/electrical fitter' doesn't deserve the word 'just' mate.
Totally concur. So, well done Conny, you common little oik. In future though, doff your cap and remember your place lest we decide to have you horsewhipped for your impudence.

Thank you gentlemen. That does my confidence the world of good.

As for the horse whipping, umm, let me think about that one.

:LOL: :LOL:

So, well done Conny, you common little oik. In future though, doff your cap and remember your place lest we decide to have you horsewhipped for your impudence.
Totally concur. :LOL:

As for the horse whipping, umm, let me think about that one.

:LOL: :LOL:
Don't knock it till you've tried it. It didn't do all those boarding school boys any harm!!!! :LOL:

As I said, let me think about the whipping. :LOL: :oops:
Perhaps this'll help you make up your mind...

25455_large.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back