Immersion heater switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an immersion heater that’s stopped working. I’ve reset the connections and element with a multi-meter and they all seem good. What else could it be? Is it possible it’s the switch? I assume if it were I wouldn’t get a volt reading (with a voltage pen) at the thermostat?

Sponsored Links
Voltage pen at the switch and thermostat and multi-meter for resistance at the switch and element/thermostat. We used to see a slight spark at the switch when it worked but now nothing.

Are you getting voltage at both terminals on the thermostat?. What element resistance are you getting?.
Also, post a photo of the immersion.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Voltage pen at the switch and thermostat and multi-meter for resistance at the switch and element/thermostat. We used to see a slight spark at the switch when it worked but now nothing.

What resistance value, did you measure across the element terminals?

18 (if) ohms, = 230x230/18, 2939 watts at 230V or, 240x240/18, 3200 watts at 240V.

Ohms probably, 240v divide 12.5 amps = 19.2 ohms.

Assuming Ohms, then the element is likely OK. OP suggests they get a live indication with a volt stick, I would suggest the OP checks if the neutral is also showing as being live, with the volt stick.. If so, it will suggest the neutral has somehow been lost.

I assume if it were I wouldn’t get a volt reading (with a voltage pen) at the thermostat?
You could get voltage, depending on how low the voltage pen indicates and they’re not the most reliable. Why not test for voltage correctly?

It would help immensly if we had a photo, it could be a side mounted immersion or a top mounted single element immersion or a top mounted dual element immersion with a short and long element, (unlikely since only one element resistance provided). Below is a top mounted dual element immersion where one thermostat switches the common neutral and has a separate over temp thermostat marked 6.

Attachments

• Immersion Dual Element.jpeg
    Immersion Dual Element.jpeg
    282.8 KB · Views: 17
Yes, 18 Ohms. Tried volt stick at neutral and got an indication. Included a picture as well.

Attachments

• IMG_7003.jpeg
    IMG_7003.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 23
Forget the volt stick and measure the voltages with your multimeter.
Measure the live to neutral ,and live to earth. And test the live at both sides of the thermostat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back