immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have all electric and my immersion heater needs replacing with what will i replace it with a new one or is there some other type and how much and what will be the difference
thanks

Moved as originally posted in WRONG FORUM (general diy)

Sponsored Links
Assuming you mean the electric heating element has failed, then the obvious thing is to buy a new one..they are not very expensive. If you mean what else could you do to heat water more efficiently, it rather depends how much water you need. It is possible to get instananeous electric water heaters for sinks and basins, or indeed electric showers. These would of course require lots of alterations to wiring and plumbing.

You can get dual element immersion heaters which only heat part of a cylinder, or all of it. Depending on whether you need to heat the whole cylinder.

Roughly, a new immersion might cost £10, an instantaneous heater £100 and a new gas boiler £1000. Plus labour, fixing any other existing problems and hassle factors.

On the whole this sounds more a question for a plumber!

I used to live in a newly built block of flats and I always had hot water and if I wanted really hot water I used the immersion heater but I never did use it after 2 years living there.

But what sort of heating would this have to keep the water always hot? electrical of course as it was great and the electric bill was nothing to complain about.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back