impact driver bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi as a casual user can anyone recommend impact bits and any to avoid ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Avoid "no name" Chinese makes, own brand makes (e.g. Erbauer, etc) and non-impact rated bits in general. Stick to the big trade power tool brands (e.g. deWalt, Milwaukee, etc) and bits specificsllybsold as "impact bits" and you should get better lifespan. Some of the independent bit makers e.g Wiha and better still Wera make the best bits of all. For impact use hardened impact-resistant bits are a must but do cost more

Last edited by a moderator:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Maybe the wrong way of looking at it but the price would put me off.
I wanted/needed a fair few cheaper ones, as I was on a job where I knew they would get ruined quickly(taking up suspended floor tiles on an office refurb, where the screw recesses are pre-mangled and full of grit/dust/carpet glue), and I've been pleasantly surprised at how good they've held up.

For 'normal' work, i.e. putting in brand new screws, I do just buy expensive single impact bits, which I just usually use in a drill-driver anyway, rather than an impact.

I wanted/needed a fair few cheaper ones, as I was on a job where I knew they would get ruined quickly(taking up suspended floor tiles on an office refurb, where the screw recesses are pre-mangled and full of grit/dust/carpet glue), and I've been pleasantly surprised at how good they've held up.

For 'normal' work, i.e. putting in brand new screws, I do just buy expensive single impact bits, which I just usually use in a drill-driver anyway, rather than an impact.

As an aside... a while back, I got fed up with trying to remove window furniture from the far east that had screws that were neither PH or PZ, after some research, I decided to order some Vessel JIS bits from AliExpress. From memory, I paid about £18 for 5 screwdriver bits (and waited 3 weeks for delivery). I pretty much use them for most screws that I need to remove.

Not impact rated but they have managed to deal with lots of (slightly) chewed screws when none of my PH or PZ bits would

It's always the price which gets people. Why are tiddly little (high quality) impact driver bits £2 to £3 a pop? Well, it's because an equivalent quality screwdriver is £6 to £10 a pop, the real technology (and cost) is in the machining of the tip and its' subsequent hardening, buy the bit is also expected to cope with up to 180Nm of torque - more torque than the nuts on your car wheel in all probability and much mote than a hand screwdriver will ever see.

In reality the most commonly used sizes for an impact driver in general use are going to be PZD#1, #2 and #3, Phillips #1 and #2, and a few Torx sizes like Tx#15, #20, #25 and #30. 9 sizes in total. That being the case, one each of those sizes would cover a lot of ground and not cost a fortune - even one each of the best quality Wera hardened bits would be less than the price of a couple or three decent screwdrivers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies i will keep them in mind, now don't laugh but i was in plumbfix and this set was out at the counter so just picked it up and will see how it goes bits

i have the same set, not great to be honest
bits, didn't last long, so as I changed to various other makes , impact versions, I keep in the box
I have a few Wera bits and milwaukee they are great - BUT only the ones i use the most PZ and TX
BUT Note just a DIYer

I have the Bosch equivalent. It's ok but the adapter keeps jamming

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back