impact driver bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have bought an impact driver since my little 4v Ryobi pistol style one is not up to some of the jobs i am doing and i reckon it will gradually die..

the bits which fit the small driver, which came with it, go into the impact driver chuck..but disappear into the hole...or fall out

the impact driver came with a driver bit which is a bit longer and clicks in to it ok however

i do have an adapter which fits the impact model and take the small bits...its magnetic

is this a usual method... or do you chaps go out and buy a complete set of screw bits to use with the impact driver... if not...are the bits which came with the small driver...up to taking the impact forces..

the impact driver is the Ryobi +1

cheers
geof

Sponsored Links
i do have an adapter which fits the impact model and take the small bits...its magnetic

I do that all the time. Every now and then one will explode due to the force, which depends what you're driving in to. Generally I don't have a problem.

Go and get yourself one of these Makita gold impact bit holders. Without a doubt the best I've used. The green sleeve has a really strong magnet on it to hold screws in and you can take it off to knock off any swarf you might pick up. Also acts as a flush sink stop.

You can buy 40mm impact bits in packs of 5/10 but they cost a bit more so I just use the older cheaper dewalt 15 packs. I don't have any problems with them.

Attachments

• 21-Pc-Ultra-Magnetic-Drive-Bit-Set.jpg
    21-Pc-Ultra-Magnetic-Drive-Bit-Set.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 526
  • dt79121.jpg
    dt79121.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 318
Last edited by a moderator:
The new 50mm dewalt extreme torsion don't need a bit holder and I'm yet to snap one, they're also precision machined and fit the screws to absolute perfection and surprisingly are very affordable

2017-06-23-11-58-53-.jpg

If not these then use WERA bits along with a bi-torsion holder if money's no object, if your just an occasional impact user then the dewalts in the tic-tac boxes Sammy posted are fine

Sponsored Links
I do that all the time. Every now and then one will explode due to the force, which depends what you're driving in to. Generally I don't have a problem.

Go and get yourself one of these Makita gold impact bit holders. Without a doubt the best I've used. The green sleeve has a really strong magnet on it to hold screws in and you can take it off to knock off any swarf you might pick up. Also acts as a flush sink stop.

You can buy 40mm impact bits in packs of 5/10 but they cost a bit more so I just use the older cheaper dewalt 15 packs. I don't have any problems with them.

The new 50mm dewalt extreme torsion don't need a bit holder and I'm yet to snap one, they're also precision machined and fit the screws to absolute perfection and surprisingly are very affordable

View attachment 121442

If not these then use WERA bits along with a bi-torsion holder if money's no object, if your just an occasional impact user then the dewalts in the tic-tac boxes Sammy posted are fine

magnificent...my money is on this forum for everything...
big thanks to you all
will sort myself out from all the above...do some googling..
cheers
geof

one other strange question...why are there two types of 'phillips' screw heads???
i can see the type on the side of the bit..but..how do i tell which is which..the screw i mean
recently went over to torx anyway but have loads of the cross head types including a full box of decking screws
thanks again

The extra notches at the 45 degree angles are the Pozidriv ones....

PHILLIPS_and_POZIDRIV_screwdrivers_and_screw.JPG

damn fine shot that...i dont look that close...next time i will and see if i have the correct bit to hand
i have a feeling all the mickey mouse freebies will be the simple cross type...
i will have to really have a clear out...even some of the torx cam out as the little splines wear quickly and round off...
i am learning a few more pounds will get me longevity of tools...it doesnt matter to me that i only do some diy...its got to be hassle free..
cheers and thanks again..
geof

Get yourself a set of PH2's and PZ2's then and you'll be set, don't know what sized Torx your using so can't advise

Get yourself a set of PH2's and PZ2's then and you'll be set, don't know what sized Torx your using so can't advise

cheers
i am going to do that...i have decided to go for a makita holder and so use up some of the bits i have with it
i like the idea of the stop when the screw is flush...the impact driver can run away with itself.
it is good to have so many options and no disrespect for any ideas i havent chosen to use
but if deals come up for impact bits i will take those on board...i think i may be wise to stay with the ph2 and pz2 as suggested as well...
i can check when i get home...i am in bristol just now the two most used torx...there is a third but its a tiny one and i wouldnt be impact driving those screws...just use the little driver...
ps i have a right angled attachment...and that has been a real joy to have for tight and awkward jobs
my next project will be flooring my garage loft so i can put the makita holder to the test for that
thanks again everyone
cheers
geof

With that Impact driver you definately need the correct bits. A suitable, Impact Driver bit holder will go a long way to stop bits from breaking. Also learn how control the trigger for the amount of power generated.

The economy sets from Screwfix do work (but other makes named above work better)

Philips (PH) screws were specifically designed for the aircraft manufacturing to prevent over tightening of the screws, that is why the PH screwdriver will alway torque out or slip out of the screwhead. They have no place in the general construction industry.

Last edited:
Philips (PH) screws were specifically designed for the aircraft manufacturing to prevent over tightening of the screws, that is why the PH screwdriver will alway torque out or slip out of the screwhead. They have no place in the general construction industry.

No idea where you got that guff from.

Phillips Head Screw
In the early 1930s, the Phillips head screw was invented by Henry Phillips.

Automobile manufacturers now used car assembly lines. They needed screws that could take greater torque and could provide tighter fastenings. The Phillips head screw was compatible with the automated screwdrivers used in an assembly line.

Ironically, there is a Philips Screw Company that never made Phillips screws or drivers. Henry Phillips died in 1958 at the age of sixty-eight.
https://www.thoughtco.com/history-of-screws-and-screwdrivers-1992422

The design of the head was actually designed to also improve cam-out to stop the aluminium threads stripping from the screw when assembling aluminium aircrafts

There's a key piece of information you've overlooked which is the base materials - Aluminium. What aluminium for aerospace has to do with the construction industry I'll never know. That's providing the link you've given is reliable and I personally don't think it is. Rivets were and are used on aircraft before Philips screws.

There has long been a popular belief that this was actually a deliberate feature of the design, for the purpose of assembling aluminium aircraft without overtightening the fasteners. Evidence is lacking for this specific narrative, and the feature is not mentioned in the original patents.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam_out

This was added to a late revision of the patent but I really don't think this was a design features intended. As for modern construction they're a brilliant fastener for timber so why you presume they have no place in construction I'm still at a loss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back