Impact of induction hob on electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to make a decision on whether switch from a gas hob to an induction hob. Specifically, I'd like to understand the electrical work required that is likely to be required and what I might need an electrician to do - if the hassle is to much, I'll leave it in the pending tray.

My consumer units (I have two) do not appear to have spare slots for a new spur/MCB.
I have a 45A MCB in one of the CUs that feeds a spur to an "MK 45A Cooker Control Unit With Neon" ie single13A switched socket and cooker switch
Could an electrician run an additional cable from the 45A MCB in the CU to the hob for a compliant installation (ie that MCB would connect to two cables - one to the hob the other to the existing cooker control unit)? The cable route is easy, so it would be quite handy if it is possible.

Sponsored Links
I don't think anyone has ever been pleased moving from gas to electric, gas is instantly controllable, electric is not instant.
I completely disagree with the above comment. I am very pleased to have moved from a dirty gas hob that is difficult to clean to a wonderful flat induction hob that has a removeable magnetic control knob. this means that the hob surface is a flat piece of glass set onto the worktop. So cleaning is a simple wipe. In addition to its cleaning ability, it is very very responsive and controllable. A pan coming to the boil can be turned to a simmer in an instant. You can set a heat point and it stays there, keep a pan of gravy warm - a piece of cake. Your granny wont singe her arms on the heat as she reaches across the hob to get her glass of sherry, either......

The only slight downside is that you may need to change some of your pans. But the ones you have are probably completely knackered through having been sat on top of a ring of jetted gas for the last few years.

Sorry Sparxxxx. You obviously haven't owned one.

You are correct with the second part of your post.:
Assuming standard equipment you can connect both to your existing cooker switch using a dual outlet. https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AA45DCOP.html

Sponsored Links
I do not have an induction hob, but the people that do seem to be completely won over.

The ones who previously used gas especially so.

I completely disagree with the above comment. I am very pleased to have moved from a dirty gas hob that is difficult to clean to a wonderful flat induction hob that has a removeable magnetic control knob. this means that the hob surface is a flat piece of glass set onto the worktop. In addition to its cleaning ability, it is very very responsive and controllable. A pan coming to the boil can be turned to a simmer in an instant. You can set a heat point and it stays there, keep a pan of gravy warm - a piece of cake.

The only slight downside is that you may need to change some of your pans. But the ones you have are probably completely knackered through having been sat on top of a ring of jetted gas for the last few years.

Sorry Sparxxxx. You obviously haven't owned one.

You are correct with the second part of your post.:

So another argument starts due to presupposition, I don't care what you think, possible you're a not very good at cooking.

And thanks for the personal endorsement.

I'm a convert to induction hobs and I honestly believe they are quicker than gas. I never would have believed it until I tried it. I think it compares to standard electric on initial power consumption but uses way less overall as almost all the power is used to heat, almost none is wasted.

Well firstly, thanks Sparkxxx as it looks like option B in the attached is possible and that will be very easy for the fitter.

And it is very interesting to get different views on induction - passion even. I never thought I would consider "electric", but the new generation seems to be much better. And as for ceramic hobs or the old fashioned electric, I would not cook on them.

As it happens, I'll be retaining two gas rings.... Thanks all

upload_2020-12-18_18-5-42.png

Option B is the one to go for, you may need to add a 13A plug and socket after the dual outlet to serve the oven, depends on your model. And as for which is best, I think there are some very good egg boilers in here:D

Option B is the one to go for, you may need to add a 13A plug and socket after the dual outlet to serve the oven, depends on your model. And as for which is best, I think there are some very good egg boilers in here:D

I'll have to check whether the oven was rated to use 13A supply, but it is directly wired to the mk cooker switch (ie not the integrated with 13A socket). When I did the wiring many years ago, I over specified/engineered everything. Regards and thanks

Michelin stars cook with gas....

My experience is in agreement with sparxxx

My parents went from gas, to induction when they moved and then when the re-done the kitchen went back to gas as soon as they could..

I've gone from electric in old house to gas now and prefer the gas.

Anyway the op's question has been answered, we're all just arguing for the sake of it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back