Impact of induction hob on electrics

Sponsored Links
Because I'm a pragmatist, the lower the protection rating the safer the circuit, for a few pounds its a bit safer.

So when the lower is constantly tripping, do you replace with a nail? How is your approach pragmatist, when you would have settled on the original higher rating. Maybe you meant Idealist. That of a ****tard.

You're
welcome.

Last edited:
So when the lower is constantly tripping, do you replace with a nail? How is your approach pragmatist, when you would have settled on the original higher rating. Maybe you meant Idealist. That of a ****tard.

You're
welcome.

I ask a question and I get insults from a jack of all trades

Sponsored Links
Some are printed on the side of the device. Or included with the instructions for the device. Or get the specifications from the manufacturer.

Thank you, and how do I achieve the correct torque

012ab512ef678e04e256524cbe938f1b.jpg

Why would you want a torque set, even when you torque to the manufacturers spec, the cables are still loose in the mcb terminal, normally its 3x duggas from the impact driver to get them tight

I have had 3 induction hobs, one part of stand alone cooker, really good, and I remember my daughter who has gas boiling a kettle of water and pouring in the pan, and I queried this, and she did a demo, kettle filled to mark and poured in pan and put on lid, then refilled to mark, gas lit full on (5.5 kW) and then kettle switched on (2.8 kW) and kettle was far faster, maybe twice as fast, so I repeated the experiment at home. And the 3 kW induction and 2.8 kW kettle boiled water at the same time, there was no more than few seconds in it.

So it would seem gas hobs heat the kitchen rather than the food, they also put moisture and combustion gases in the kitchen so you need extractor fans to remove fumes with ducts, so to install a gas hob is far more expensive if you include the cooker hob and ducting required. And clearly gas is not as efficient you use maybe three times as much energy with gas as with induction, however gas is cheaper so works out about the same running cost.

Next is using, the amount you can tilt a pan with induction is limited, around ½ inch depending on make, and you need heavy pans with magnetic base, so using a wok with electric not really going to work. However after that electric wins hands down. Safer, it auto switches off when you remove pan which also saves energy, it auto switches off if it over heats, it auto switches off after set time, it has a steady base not little fingers, and the risk of burns is very much reduced. (Not all hobs have same safety features)

One against induction is really nothing to do with induction, it is use of touch controls, we have a hob that can turn on/off as fast as gas, so no need to lift a pan, then we spoil it all for half pennies worth of tar but removing the knob which is a fast human machine interface and using touch controls instead, which mean you can't turn it off as fast. Yes with a halogen hob the touch controls were good, as easy to clean, but the induction does not get as hot so does not bake food onto hob so easy clean anyway even with knobs.

The induction also has better control to gas, can melt chocolate direct in pan, not need for bowl sitting in water, flame can't blow out with induction so you can turn it to lower heat and higher heat to gas.

Not all are the same, I have a cheap Lidi for camping with, single ring, and it does not have auto time out, and max heat is 2 kW, however since heat direct into pan, rarely need over 1 kW setting, could get away with 750 watt with induction so 4 heat areas 3 amp x 4 = 12 amp and so will work from 13 amp supply, clearly better if larger allows you to boil water fast, but put anything in the water at the 3.7 kW boost setting of my stand alone cooker it will burn it.

One other problem is old pace makers did not comply with EU standards so people with pace makers fitted were told not to use induction hobs, it was pace maker at fault not the hob, but unlikely anyone still has an old pace maker fitted, so today no problem. We removed the induction hob my mother had due to worries about her pace maker, then 6 months latter pack maker changed and we were assured with new one induction could be replaced, however there was a second problem, it had touch controls, and mother was in a wheel chair, and the angle she viewed the controls one could simply not see even where on the ceramic hob you needed to touch, and had no idea what the heat setting was, again touch controls are the problem, not the induction hob.

... even when you torque to the manufacturers spec, the cables are still loose in the mcb terminal ...
Indeed so. As I've said a good few times, I rapidly gave up using a torque screwdriver for electrical terminals when I discovered how 'loose' the screws still were when tightened to the manufacturer's recommended torques.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back