Impact of induction hob on electrics

One other problem is old pace makers did not comply with EU standards so people with pace makers fitted were told not to use induction hobs, it was pace maker at fault not the hob, but unlikely anyone still has an old pace maker fitted, so today no problem.
That surprises me a little, since I'm not sure to what extent it is possible (or, at least, 'easy') to make a pacemaker totally immune from potential effects of something like an induction hob.

I'm a little out of touch, but most, probably all, pacemakers I have ever dealt with utilise induction coils to interrogate and programme the pacemaker from outside of the body, and I imagine that it would be (electronically) difficult to ensure that the large fields created by things like induction hobs could never interact with the pacemaker via its pick-up coil. The current advice from the British Hear Foundation still appears to be ...
British Heart Foundation said:
Induction hobs do generate electromagnetic fields, so keep a distance of at least 60cm (2ft) between the stovetop and your pacemaker. Most people should be able to use a hob if they follow these precautions, but if you are choosing a new cooker, it may be easier to pick one that is not an induction hob.

Keeping "2ft from the stovetop" clearly is not very practical. If I had a pacemaker (even a 'new' one), I certainly wouldn't want an induction hob in my home!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
All I can say is what the hospital said about my mother, they told me as mothers carer the old one did not comply with EU EMC rules, but new one did.

It would be foolish unless you know yours is the new design to put your body too close to an induction hob, or to tell some one else to do it.

All I can say is what the hospital said about my mother, they told me as mothers carer the old one did not comply with EU EMC rules, but new one did.
I think they may perhaps have had a little too much faith in compliance with EMC rules necessarily guaranteeing total immunity from possible effects of high levels of EM radiation (as from induction hobs) - and something approach a 'guarantee' is what one really needs with a pacemaker.
It would be foolish unless you know yours is the new design to put your body too close to an induction hob, or to tell some one else to do it.
As I said, I'm not personally convinced about that 'unless' - to reiterate, if the person with a pacemaker were myself (or someone close to me), I wouldn't go anywhere near an operating induction hob (or advise anyone else so to do), even if it were a 'new' design of pacemaker! There are plenty of other ways of cooking, so I personally would not want to take the risk!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
And of course you would also avoid and mobile phones, which are far worse to the induction hob!
I don't think that's really true (and, if it were, 'cordless phones' would quite probably be even worse).

Making electronic equipment immune to the effects of UHF fields (mobile phones, cordless phones, WiFi etc.) is relatively easy.

However, my understanding is that induction hobs are generally VLF (up to 30 kHz) or, at most, only a little into LF (I think 120 kHz is the highest I've seen mentioned), and it is much more difficult keeping such frequencies out of electronic circuitry (particularly when 'miniaturised', which precludes the use of any large inductors).

I think that 'metal detectors' at airports and in other security situations are also a cause for concern.

Kind Regards, John

One against induction is really nothing to do with induction, it is use of touch controls, we have a hob that can turn on/off as fast as gas, so no need to lift a pan, then we spoil it all for half pennies worth of tar but removing the knob which is a fast human machine interface and using touch controls instead, which mean you can't turn it off as fast. Yes with a halogen hob the touch controls were good, as easy to clean, but the induction does not get as hot so does not bake food onto hob so easy clean anyway even with knobs.
Doesnt matter if the hob is gas, halogen, ceramic, hotplate, induction. Doesnt matter if the controls are touch, knobs, sliders. The controls should not be on the cooking surface.

Doesnt matter if the hob is gas, halogen, ceramic, hotplate, induction. Doesnt matter if the controls are touch, knobs, sliders. The controls should not be on the cooking surface.
I would agree, however they never are, so does not matter, however we called it a HMI (Human machine interface) and the idea be it controlling temperature of a room or temperature of a hob is to be easy and quick to use. Easy clean comes second. So my old thermostat, ae235.jpg needed glasses and instruction book, new one Hot water boost.jpg simple easy dial and large display, same applies with cooker, it does not matter if magnetic knobs that can be removed for cleaning, knobs to side, knobs under a glass protector, you want to be able to adjust quick and easy, and also if possible easy clean. Having been use to simple knobs, I then tried mothers with touch controls, and to alter temperature you needed to select the heat area then multi touches to adjust heat setting, by which time milk would have boiled over. Also when sitting in a wheel chair the angle of one's eye to the hob resulted in the controls being invisible. The latter clearly dangerous as a short person or child could alter the settings without realising they has done so.

Lucky for us the county council considered they had made an error in advising we buy an induction hob due to mothers pace maker, and it was replaced with a halogen hob, it was very simple, 3 heat settings, think there were two elements of different sizes so it was small, large or both. However after using induction it was so slow, so turned off at isolator and used a Lidi single area stand alone induction hob instead when we moved in with her.

The Lidi unit was also rather simple, it did not have the safely features found on our Belling cooker, and although it had a knob, it also had some touch controls as well. Even the knob worked like a computer mouse turning it sent down or up pulses, so not as fast as the conventional knob. Seem to remember 200 watt to 2 kW in around 10 increments, however it also had a single touch off button. And if the touch controls include is single touch off button then as with knob, you can turn off as fast using controls as lifting the pan, so they can work.

The other point is auto switch off time, with our Belling I can remove frying pan from cooker put it under tap and add water and return to cooker without the cooker locking off. But mothers cooker would lock off in that time, so would have to use multi touches to reactivate. Looking at induction hobs before buying only one shop had a demo model. He showed boiling water with £5 note between pan and hob which was not burnt as a result, and showed touching the hob would not burn you, having to place weight on the hob may have done, but not an accidental touching, it was clear much safer for my mother who had a tendency to lean on things due to bad hip even before she lost her leg.

But after finding the problem of viewing the touch controls we went out to look as models to select one where you can see controls in a wheel chair, but finding any demo hobs with power to them so you could test the viewing angle was hard, so did not take a chance, we got one with knobs on. But we did not even think of the problem reading the hob when low down until mother said what little red thing. Then we got down to her eye level, and there was nothing to see, she was aiming for controls blind. Yes we could have put correction fluid around the sensor points to show where they were, but still shouldn't have to.

It was same with oven, the kitchen installer had very carefully measured hight of mothers wheel chair, so door just cleared the hand rests, which kept the oven low enough so she could just about see anything in the grill, however the numbers and icons on the knobs were on the top, so mother could not see what the setting was, I had to make discs to go behind the knobs so from below so could see setting.

I would agree, however they never are, so does not matter,

"drop in" induction hobs sold to catering market can be had with separate controls you can position away from the cooking surface.

lti-drop-in-induction-cooktop-768x512.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

BKW-A.jpg

I would agree, however they never are, so does not matter, however we called it a HMI (Human machine interface) and the idea be it controlling temperature of a room or temperature of a hob is to be easy and quick to use.

I came across, albeit in the US, an example that broke both of those good ideas.

It was a hob built into an island and the controls were right next to one side. Far worse was that it had four (five?) elements but there were only two controls. One to select which the element and the other to control the power to that element. Also they were touch controls so you had to look at them to see what element you had selected and what setting it was on, with no tactile feedback.

When they redid their kitchen, he paid for it and chose the hob even though she did all the cooking. I was using it for something and he made a comment about how clever & small the controls were and I replied that they were but it was a shame that they were totally inappropriate for a hob. He asked what the problem was and I said that no-one who cooks would choose that as you want to be able to quickly & accurately change settings and often want to change two things at once.

Thanks everyone for you contributions. I have the induction hob in and working as well as a two ring gas hob. I just love cooking within induction - no excess heat, controllable and my hob has decent heat distribution. And it is easy to clean...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back