Impossible to turn off water at mains- what can be done?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While waiting to speak to our plumber, I thought I'd post my problem here to see what people think.

Essentially, there is a falling main which brings cold water from a
roof tank into the bathroom taps. This tank contains gallons of water and serves multiple properties. Because of this, it can not
realistically be turned off (i.e. it would take days to empty it and
would affect other properties). We have done a 'rush job' and
affixed a ball-fix valve on, to be able to stop water coming to the
taps, but we are not 100% confident that this is sufficient. The
offending pipe has an old stop gate valve, which is broken. This pipeis an old-fashioned one, measuring approximately 28 mm in diameter. The property is a maisonette, part of an estate built in 1965. So there are maisonettes on both sides, and small flats above us.

Is there a way to fix the stop gate valve without turning the mains water off??

Sponsored Links
Hire an electric pipe freezer and fit a new 28mm stopcock. Bear in mind it is VERY hard to freeze running water, a gas one will cost a fortune and may not work!

If the tank is accessible you could try bunging the outlet to the broken valve from inside the tank, good luck whatever with your problem, always a bit nerve wracking dealing with this sort of stuff ;)

You may find if you inspect the tank it has a large stop valve on the outlet,

As it only serves bathrooms and wouldnt cut the water off totally to other properties I would have no hesitation in letting everyone know the waters going to be off for "Essential maintenance work".

Ps whilst this is going on look in the tank it might need cleaning out, you might want to use fresh water to clean your teeth !

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. The plumber is coming by today. If he's unable to freeze it I'll go back to the porters and see if we can turn off the water at the source of the tank. And **** off all of my neighbours for the next couple of days... ;)

Probably a 100 gallon tank and you cant turn the mains off to it, what could possibly go wrong snatching it. :eek:

Maybe you could try the Aladdin Easyfit Isolator - I've just asked in another post if anyones used this. I'm trying to isolate a leaking pipe that won't freeze. Not sure if they do it in this size.

errr - that wasn't spam, that was my post to see if anyone has tried this product - wondered why it disappeared!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back