In bricklaying terms, what is a "coat hanger"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My father occasionally uses obscure terms like "that wall's full of coat hangers" when looking at face brickwork. When I ask him to explain, he can't - he points out bricks and I can see that they aren't laid particularly well but he never quite explains what the coat hanger is..

In case it's some obscure regional term he also says "it's ok though, because the sun never hits that wall.. coat hangers.. when the sun's right down em, they look bloody awful"

I'm guessing it's something to do with a brick that is laid tipped so either the top edge or bottom edge is outside the true vertical of the wall, or laid rotated so that a perp edge doesnt line up with the adjacent brick.. but can anyone tell me exactly what my old man is on about?

Sponsored Links
You can still lay a brick to a line and lay it arris in or out.

This means that although the brick is laid to the line, the bricky hasn't twisted or tapped the brick so that it is true on the arris.

A bricky i worked with was terrible once he got up around shoulder height and would start tipping the bricks. When the sun is right over the wall it casts little shadows and looks awful.

So bad you could practically walk up it or hang yer coat on it! :p

Sponsored Links
So it's when the stretcher face of the brick is tipping outwards at the top causing a wall that looks like this:

and is caused by not setting the brick down level/not tapping the back down sufficiently before tapping the front to be level to the line?
[/u]

So it's when the stretcher face of the brick is tipping outwards at the top causing a wall that looks like this:

and is caused by not setting the brick down level/not tapping the back down sufficiently before tapping the front to be level to the line?
[/u]

Yes, exactly that.

Also known as hatching and grinning.

My old sage taught me that hatching and grinning is laying bent bricks one way up and the other. ... grinning with dip down like a smile, hatching with the hump in the middle. The bricks should always be laid hatched to dispel water, and not in all different directions

In case it's some obscure regional term he also says "it's ok though, because the sun never hits that wall.. coat hangers.. when the sun's right down em, they look bloody awful"

You can always see a crap wall when the sun shines directly down or along it, and then you see all the shadows of the bricks sticking in or out, instead of being flush

Coat hangers are when one end or a corner is visibly sticking out.

Cats love these walls for ease of climbing

Also known as hatching and grinning.

My old sage taught me that hatching and grinning is laying bent bricks one way up and the other. ... grinning with dip down like a smile, hatching with the hump in the middle. The bricks should always be laid hatched to dispel water, and not in all different directions
Not sure where your old sage got that one from woody. Creased bricks should be layed so they are smiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back