In or out

In or out of the European union

• Remain in the EU

• Get out

Results are only viewable after voting.
On a more general note:

Look through the 'comments sections' of many of the newspaper articles on Brexit; you will find many older persons (60+) who voted to 'remain' in 1975
openly admit that they were wrong, and will now vote 'leave'.

There's a certain irony there , how the elder generation are always haranguing and criticising the younger but are now admitting to being in the wrong.

Sponsored Links
We seem to have had this topic before and I said in that thread that on the balance I'd opt for out of the undemocratic fascist EU and hope that Westminster have the brains not to sell us out to un democratic fascist US corporations . One thing that causes debate is the question of migration. Germany for instance has taken a large number whereas we in turn along with several Eastern European countries have taken relatively few from the recent migrations despite arguments from the Germans. The recent announcement of taking in children seems to be more a humanitarian stance than a quota one. However, whether we are part of the EU or not those making the migrations will continue , boarders are after all nothing more than arbitrary lines drawn on a map , we will still be faced with a potential hoard of people wanting to enter legally or illegally and potentially have less cooperation with our European cousins. Some even talk of a complete break down of the EU which would only exasperate the problem as each individual country seeks only to look after itself and pass those problems onto their neighbours.
Either way , in or out , I can't see it being a bed of roses.

On a more general note:

Look through the 'comments sections' of many of the newspaper articles on Brexit; you will find many older persons (60+) who voted to 'remain' in 1975 openly admit that they were wrong, and will now vote 'leave'.
Yes, but in most cases they were "wrong" only because they had been lied to about the true intent and believed that they were voting to remain in what was merely a trading agreement - The "Common Market" as it was generally called at the time.

If everybody in 1975 knew the true eventual aim, or even could see the extent to which that aim has been partially fulfilled today, I think the result would have been quite different.

Sponsored Links
How does remaining in the EU benefit the UK?
The only tangible benefits anyone can ever seem to come up with are (a) things which could be had by a simple agreement with the countries concerned, without the need for the bureaucracy, expense and dictatorship of the EU, and (b) given their relatively trivial nature anyway, certainly not worth all of the many, and sometimes worrying, drawbacks that also come with membership of the EU.

How does remaining in the EU benefit the UK?
The only tangible benefits anyone can ever seem to come up with are (a) things which could be had by a simple agreement with the countries concerned, without the need for the bureaucracy, expense and dictatorship of the EU, and (b) given their relatively trivial nature anyway, certainly not worth all of the many, and sometimes worrying, drawbacks that also come with membership of the EU.
Ah! So no benefit at all..

I was hoping that Himaginn would like to answer my question since John couldn't and seems to have gone into hiding again

I think I became convinced some years ago that those who support the EU do so simply because they have some ideological belief that it would somehow "be nice" for the whole of Europe to be united as a single nation, which must surely be the eventual aim given the clauses about "ever closer union." And I have a feeling it's because that is their only reason for believing in the EU that they have to resort to witch-hunt tactics when anyone dares to criticize the EU in any way by claiming that anyone who is against the EU and its agenda must be an isolationist, xenophobic "Little Englander."

But one thing is definite: That article says nothing about the withdrawing country not being obliged to continue paying in to the EU, either until an agreed withdrawal date is reached or for 2 years from notification, whichever is the shorter.
An extra 2 years of contributions is a small price to pay to get out. Who cares if we have no influence during that time? It's not like they take us seriously as it is.

But one thing is definite: That article says nothing about the withdrawing country not being obliged to continue paying in to the EU, either until an agreed withdrawal date is reached or for 2 years from notification, whichever is the shorter.
An extra 2 years of contributions is a small price to pay to get out. Who cares if we have no influence during that time? It's not like they take us seriously as it is.

Just how much is two years contributions ? Think what could be achieved with that money staying in this country. In 2013 the UK contributed somewhere around 17.4 billion Euros to the EU budget and received around 6.8billion back in funding. So it's costing us over 10 billion Euros per year. I don't know what the conversion rate is for Eu- £, so I can't put a £ sterling figure on it. but a rough guess I'd estimate 2 yrs contributions to the EU to be somewhere around £30 billion (and if we were giving them 2 yrs notice, I don't think there's any guarantee that we'd get anything back ,,, after all, we're immediately barred from any discussions concerning the EU)

I don't know what the conversion rate is for Eu- £
Then look it up. The figure is readily available from numerous sources. Today a Euro is worth 76p.

That information is worthless. We don't know the exchange rate at the time of exchange or even the date of exchange. Granted it could be researched but why do all that work just to satisfy you?

If Jock thinks that 10bn Euro multiplied by two is £30bn, then he is wildly wrong.

It seems only fair to help him.

10 x 0.76 x 2 is in fact 15.2, so his estimate is about double what it ought to be if his guesses were otherwise correct. I will charitably presume that he has made a mistake due to ignorance, and is not deliberately overstating his case.

Sponsored Links
Back