Increasing aperture size in fixed worktop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing an inset hob with a slightly larger one. Any advice on using a router to increase the length of the aperture. It is not possible to get a standard jig in position or to remove the worktop without damaging it.

Sponsored Links
Use a spirit level or 2 stuck with double sided carpet tape.
Then carefully, a layer at the time route the hole.

Thanks, I had in mind something like that. I am only a DIYer with a 1/4” router, any bit recommendations?

Thanks, I had in mind something like that. I am only a DIYer with a 1/4” router, any bit recommendations?
Standard straight bit.
A 12mm will be quicker, but in reality you're gonna take it easy, so no difference.
Just don't use a very small one.

Sponsored Links
1/4" router may struggle.
Not if it's done in 3or 4 mm stages.
In fact, i would go 2mm for the first pass as the laminate worktop is harder, then 4 or 5mm for the rest which is usually chipboard.

Yes, I intended to do it in very small cuts 2 or 3 mil per pass, 15mm off each end. I am particularly concerned at getting the corners right, have been advised to use a straight flute. (n)

Cancel all that. The hob has just arrived and has chamfered edges! So will not be recessed. I will have to build the front and rear steps up to support the front and rear edges of the hob. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back