Indesit washer dryer smelly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I was wondering if someone knows what to do with an indesit washer dryer that is driving me nuts.
The machine is in a small cupboard, and every time I open the cupboard door, my bedroom is inundated with a very strong "soapy" smell. It smells like soap scum.

I've already ran about 7 cycles in the hottest setting (90 degrees), and started with vinegar, then vinegar and baking soda, then thick bleach, then soda crystals, and now i'm going with anti-mould liquid.

I don't know what else to do to stop this awful smell.

The landlord sent an engineer, but the engineer says that it was the cleanest machine he ever saw (of course, I cleaned it!) and "given the smells i have to deal with every day, this is not so bad", which is not helpful at all.
My BF can also smell it, so it's not like i'm the only one.

What else I can do to try to tackle this issue?

I'd really appreciate any help!

Sponsored Links
Take the hose out of the drain, cap it off with a plastic bag and elastic band, and use the launderette for a week
It will either be the machine, or the drain

I forgot to mention that I've already sealed teh drain as well, but the problem persists. Where in teh machine might be dirty that my attempts won't reach to clean?

How is it connected to the drain?
Must have a U bend and should go up to about worktop hight before dropping down to the drain connection to prevent soiled water syphoning back into the machine, this is most important where it shares a connection with the sink as water from the sink can lie in the sump of machine and cause the problem you describe.

Sponsored Links
You don't say whether you or the engineer (I don't have any faith in these so called "tradesmen") have checked the filter. You don't say what model your Indesit is but on mine the filter is behind a panel bottom front of the machine. This panel is where, if you have big feet like me, you would kick it. It's only held by clips and should pull off but mine was quite tight. I also used a machine cleaner made by Dettol. Tried Doctor Beckman that didn't work. The dettol one did. Also as said make sure that the empty pipe rises to, at least, the height of the top of the machine before going to the drain.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/hom...ng-machine-get-rid-of-dirt-mould-bacteria-and

How is it connected to the drain?
Must have a U bend and should go up to about worktop hight before dropping down to the drain connection to prevent soiled water syphoning back into the machine, this is most important where it shares a connection with the sink as water from the sink can lie in the sump of machine and cause the problem you describe.

Hi, thanks for answering. The machine is not sharing the sink drain. It's installed in a cupbaord, like this:

FN8MxyW

I just noticed that the top fill hose (the black pipe that is attached to the soap dispenser) have water inside after a finished cycle. Is this normal?

The drain looks OK not sure what pipe you are referring to but the soap tray should be empty after washing. I assume the flexible pipe does not dip into the water trap in the u bend.

I assume the flexible pipe does not dip into the water trap in the u bend.
Nop, it's at the top of it. I think the engineer saw it was a wee bit too low and put it where it should be. But afte rthat I ran a new cycle and the smell still lingers. ew hahah

The hose I'm talking to is the black one, that carries the water from the soap drawer into the drum. I think is called sump hose or top fill hose? Not sure, but it seems to be this part:

https://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1087788/washer-dryer-hose-dispenser?pageNumber=8&ModelId=1394377

Is in here, see video:

Last edited:
Hi, I'm sorry, my machine is Indesit IWDC6143.
The engineer just opened the machine door and said it was clean, never opened the filter (I told him I cleaned it up, maybe he thought it was enough?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would expect that component to hold some water in what appears to be a sump at the bottom but you would not notice it without dismantling. Beats me I'm afraid. I wonder if the cupboard is the problem being closed up with a damp machine in it.You could try leaving the door on the cupboard open with the machine door ajar for a few hours after use.

I would expect that component to hold some water in what appears to be a sump at the bottom but you would not notice it without dismantling. Beats me I'm afraid. I wonder if the cupboard is the problem being closed up with a damp machine in it.You could try leaving the door on the cupboard open with the machine door ajar for a few hours after use.

yeah I will have to call the engineer again to see that water in the pipe.

The problem is that the cupboard door must be closed, because it will hit the bedroom door if not closed. Also, if enclosed machines smell, how come the integrated washing machines are perfectly fine?

yeah I will have to call the engineer again to see that water in the pipe.

The problem is that the cupboard door must be closed, because it will hit the bedroom door if not closed. Also, if enclosed machines smell, how come the integrated washing machines are perfectly fine?

Then leave the doors open as much as possible, as a test..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back