Indian visa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going on holiday to India in March and need a visa. The website says
  • The 30 days India Tourist eVisa - With the help of the 30 days India Tourist eVisa, visitors can stay in the country for a maximum span of 30 days, from the day of entry. It is a double-entry visa, thus with this visa, you can enter the country a maximum of 2 times, within the visa’s validity period. Keep in mind that it will come with a date of expiry, which is the day before which you must have entered the country.
I haven't tried it yet, but not clear to me what "it will come with a date of expiry" means. If the applicant can select the date of expiry, the way I read that is, it's best to make it well into the future, as that gives most flexibility about when to enter India. As you can enter at any time up till then (of course subject to the 30 days stay).

Possibly it will become clear on applying eg maybe the expiry date must be between dates of proposed entry and leaving, but before applying, and risking getting in a tangle, I'd be interested if anybody's had experience of it or can comment.
TIA!

Sponsored Links
I applied for a visa in August, it was fairly straightforward apart from the photo sizing, came through in a couple of days, no problem at immigration in Delhi, very efficient

Not specific to India, but if your visa does not require an exit date, only an entry date, you can assume your visa will be valid when you enter the country, and (assumingly ) will remain valid for 30 days after entering the country. Your entry stamp will indicate your entry into India. And you need to leave on or before the 30th day after that.
What I can see of the visa application, you only need to specify your date of arrival. Therefore the above will apply.

But in my experience visas usually require an entry and an exit date.
So date your visa to start on the day, or the day before. you intend to enter the country.
And book your return for the day of exit date or before.
If there's any problem with your flights, etc, you're not obliged to stay the whole 30 days.

Are you applying on the genuine Indian visa site or a generic visa agency?
I wouldn't bother with generic agencies.

Last edited:
I applied for a visa in August, it was fairly straightforward apart from the photo sizing, came through in a couple of days, no problem at immigration in Delhi, very efficient
Thanks for that. Have you been (and returned)? What was the expiry date, and did you specify it? And the date of entry? Just to clarify my thoughts

Sponsored Links
My India visa is a multiple entry business one that is annual, but you state the date of first arrival and the time limit is from that day.

Date of issue 15 july 23 expiry date 13 july 24, 180 day max stay any one trip, multiple entry

entry date Sept 8 exit Sept 20

We were hoping to return in March and take in a test match but events have overtaken us so not to be

Thanks
Not specific to India, but if your visa does not require an exit date
It says Keep in mind that it will come with a date of expiry
Your entry stamp will indicate your entry into India. And you need to leave on or before the 30th day after that.
That bit is fairly clear.

I go on 4 March, return 19 March, so if the expiry date is say 5 March or after (so I have entered India before that date) I think it should be OK. But I can't see why the expiry date couldn't be be in 2030 ! and still meet the criteria. Unless the website states the expiry date (not the applicant).
I wouldn't bother with generic agencies.
Definitely :giggle:

Last edited:
When I went Sri Lanka a few years back me and my Scottish mate applied for visas separately. When we got to columbo he got held up at customs because his Visa was fake.

He just had to pay for it there and then. No problem.

Can you do that in India?

Great country to visit, lovely friendly people, we will probably go once more before too old and try and bag a test match

Like that idea I want to go Cochin. But would consider somewhere else if it was suitable to mix with a bit other and culture.

Sponsored Links
Back