Induction hob wiring

deadshort";p="3379242 said:
Hi, you just need to replace the cooker connection plate with a dual connection plate. If you're oven requires a 13a fused supply, then put a 13a FCU or Socket onto one of the 6mm cables you have connected to the dual plate.

I would use 6mm or 4mm to supply the socket, that's just my preference. :) Simply because -

The oven wiring is 6mm and i would leave that in place to make it easier to install a more powerful oven if and when required, all that's required is to remove the socket and connect. As i say, that's just my preference.

Kind regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
I would use 6mm or 4mm to supply the socket, that's just my preference. :) Simply because -

The oven wiring is 6mm and i would leave that in place to make it easier to install a more powerful oven if and when required, all that's required is to remove the socket and connect. As i say, that's just my preference.
Will need two metres, then. :)

And if you want to upgrade to a more poweful oven why could you not just connect it straight to the dual outlet cooker plate you recommended? What are you going to replace the socket on the end of the 6mm with? Another outlet plate? :rolleyes:

So if i understand you, what i propose is fine?
Not necessarily - we have yet to ascertain what size the present flex is. Of course, anything less than 2.5mm² (and what you have will almost certainly be smaller than that) would not "be fine" in terms of the manufacturer's instructions - but that may not worry you.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
And if you want to upgrade to a more poweful oven why could you not just connect it straight to the dual outlet cooker plate you recommended? What are you going to replace the socket on the end of the 6mm with? Another outlet plate? :rolleyes:

The oven ? ffs

DS

The oven ? ffs
Oh. Maybe I misunderstood. Are you suggesting that the outlet plate should, now, be connected to the socket about 6 inches away with a couple of metres of 6mm² T+E, and that that T+E should be disconnected from the socket and wired directly to the hypothesised future oven if/when the time comes?

Kind Regards, John

Oh I see so there's just going to be a nice big loop of 6mm in between a socket and outlet plate just in case, in the future, at the end of this ovens life, the OP might want a bigger one? ok then

OP, just buy a few meters of 2.5mm (if following manufactures instructions) or 1.5mm if you're being sensible, I would go with butyl type cable to be on the safe side

you could use

http://www.screwfix.com/p/heat-resistant-flexible-cable-3093y-3-core-1-5mm-x-5m-white/76347

or

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA1dot5TQ3slash50.html

both are heat resistant, the screwfix one is PVC though, not butyl (but both heat resistant)

Oh I see so there's just going to be a nice big loop of 6mm in between a socket and outlet plate just in case, in the future, at the end of this ovens life, the OP might want a bigger one? ok then
As I've just written, that's how it seems! If I practised that sort of very-long-term speculative 'future-proofing' in my house, goodness knows how many 'big loops of cable' there would be all over the place :)

Kind Regards, John

As I've just written, that's how it seems! If I practised that sort of very-long-term speculative 'future-proofing' in my house, goodness knows how many 'big loops of cable' there would be all over the place :)

Kind Regards, John

Ye, future-proofing is for the young.

Kind regards,

DS

My future proofing is things like CAT6 to every room, more socket outlets than you think you'll ever need, loads of spare ways in a CU, not looping cable at every opportunity

My future proofing is things like CAT6 to every room, more socket outlets than you think you'll ever need, loads of spare ways in a CU, not looping cable at every opportunity

Great, is it a plastic CU :eek:

DS

Wylex Standard Wooden mate. Not a fan of these new fangled MCwhatchamacalits and RCthingys

So if i understand you, what i propose is fine?
Not necessarily - we have yet to ascertain what size the present flex is. Of course, anything less than 2.5mm² (and what you have will almost certainly be smaller than that) would not "be fine" in terms of the manufacturer's instructions - but that may not worry you.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, the manual specifies 2.5mm for connection via a socket outlet, but the consensus here seems to be that anything over 1.5mm is overkill and also awkward to wire into a plug. Presumably the same dilemma applies to the length of flex connecting the connection unit to the 13a socket on the wall.

Or maybe i could use something like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/1-gang-45a-cooker-control-unit-white/3285d

But no-one has challenged the principle of running an induction hob and a 2kw oven off the connection unit in the picture, using the 6mm cable for the hob. So it seems a safe and sensible approach at least.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back