Industrial archeology and the screams of pain.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my experience of forums, this is either going to attract screams of outrage and much wringing of hands or one or two understanding and informative replies from people who know. Which forum is this? :)

Some thirty-five or more years ago, when 'er indoors and I couldn't afford christmas presents for our family and made them home made sweets, I installed our central heating system and wired the house from the ground up. I wasn't then and am not now either an electrician nor a plumber - much less a registered gas fitter. So, what made me think I could do such a thing?

Because I was then and am now, an MRI and CT Scanner engineer. That means I deal with 3 phase power, 'ordinary' power, low voltage and electronics, computers, image processing, hydraulics, mechanical drives and mechanisms, plumbing, cryogenics (handling fluids and systems at close to absolute zero), enormous magnetic fields, radio frequency amplifiers, power amplifiers and so on - you get the picture? I do stuff. :rolleyes:

Anyway, a heating and ventilating engineer friend mapped out a design for me, I grafted after getting home from work for weeks and weeks, then another friend - a gas fitter - came, checked the boiler and commissioned it, while yet another mate - a sparks - came to check my work and change over the tails for me. Since then the system has worked tirelessly while three children grew into their thirties. I've replaced about three pilot light sensors, a boiler thermostat bulb, a couple of radiator valves and the header tank ball valve. That's it. :eek:

About six years ago we took out a British Gas service contract. They weren't happy with the open area behind the gas fire and around the back boiler, nor the ventilation. I fitted profiled aluminium panels over the back boiler and installed a floor vent to the void under the wooden floor. They were happy with that and took on the contract. They even replaced the back boiler after about a year, because the original was 'ticking'. I think we let the contract lapse when it went up to something astronomical. :rolleyes:

Yesterday, a man came to redirect the gas piping to feed the gas hob in our new kitchen - being contructed as we speak. I got calls at work from 'er indoors to say he'd turned off the back boiler and condemned it! He didn't like the flues, apparently. I spoke with him and struggled to get him to talk technical with me. I guess since most of your customers haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about, you've got out of the habit of explaining exactly what you have done. Try as I might, I couldn't understand why he had condemned my very, very old, but effective boiler. I asked him to leave a detailed report, but what he left merely said it was dead - he done it - nobody can argue with that - and 'Flues'. Not very enlightening. :mad:

Needless to say, we were very concerned. We had obviously escaped disaster by a hairs breadth and he came in the nick of time - at least five years! :rolleyes: I gave it the once over and started it up again. However, I know it is too old to support and will need replacing, but when you are in the middle of a complete kitchen rebuild, a couple of thousand for a new boiler when the old one works well enough, isn't what you need. :eek:

My question- a long time coming - if you would please, is; what would replace, in modern compliant bells and whistles regulation, a New World Stowaway 411 with back boiler? I seem to remember it was about 11Kw, but I may be wrong, modern ones seem to be about 24Kw. It has to drive domestic hot water and six radiators. :)

Roger.

Sponsored Links
Was the bloke from BG? If so, your mistake was in ever allowing them in the door because they will always be able to find a reason to condemn your boiler. A few months ago we nearly fell into the trap when we responded to one of BG's invitations to have a free inspection and quote for a new boiler. When I rang, the first question they asked was "how old is your boiler?" I smelled a rat and told them I just wanted a ballpark figure without the inspection, eventually they reluctantly quoted around £3000 for the boiler alone. I got a new condensing boiler and a lot of big pipework modifications done by a good local plumber for around £2000.

what would replace, in modern compliant bells and whistles regulation, a New World Stowaway 411 with back boiler? I seem to remember it was about 11Kw, but I may be wrong, modern ones seem to be about 24Kw. It has to drive domestic hot water and six radiators.
It all depends on whether you want to retain your existing hot water cylinder. If you do then you only need a boiler about the size of your existing one. But if you want to get rid of the cylinder and go for a combi (instant hot water), then you will need an output of about 30kW. The exact figure will depend on the cold water pressure and flow rate as well as the number of taps which could be running at the same time.

As you have only six radiators they will only add up to about 10kW at the most. Many combi boilers will not even modulate that low. So, if you decide on a combi, have a look at the spec and see what the minimum output is for central heating. It definitely needs to be below 10kW and, preferably as low as possible.

It may be more money, when you don't want it, but at least all the mess and upheaval will be happening at the same time. So it might be worth making the change now.

A point to consider is the new kitchen.

The new boiler will have to find a home, best to plan now than have to start altering cupboards etc around later.

Sponsored Links
if your RGI was Gas Safe Registered(?) he should have left documentation to say if the installation was I.D or A.R

I.D = Immediately Dangerous and should be capped off from gas supply

A.R = At Risk and appliance should be turned off

both scenarios require your permission

both scenarios also require appliance to be fixed BEFORE turning back on.

Was the bloke from BG? If so, your mistake was in ever allowing them in the door because they will always be able to find a reason to condemn your boiler. A few months ago we nearly fell into the trap when we responded to one of BG's invitations to have a free inspection and quote for a new boiler. When I rang, the first question they asked was "how old is your boiler?" I smelled a rat and told them I just wanted a ballpark figure without the inspection, eventually they reluctantly quoted around £3000 for the boiler alone. I got a new condensing boiler and a lot of big pipework modifications done by a good local plumber for around £2000.

eh? you wanted a ballpark figure, they gave you one and now you are not happy? what a load of ****e.

roger, your best bet is to get three or four reliable and recommended people round to quote you for the replacement.

in the mean-time i would be getting another RGI round to check the boiler ove properly before you start using it again. the bloke you had round might have been a chancer but its not worth the risk.

Thanks very much for the prompt replies guys. The category was AR, but there is almost no information to say why. In fact it has been the cylinder that has been the subject of my suspicion for a while now. The system has been displaying a couple of shortcomings I couldn't quite figure out, but with the kitchen upheaval I was waiting until we got back on a rather more even keel before going after it. However, with the boiler being arbitrarily shutdown and condemned, I got into some troubleshooting.

Going back to the boiler, I should explain the gas fire has not been used for many years and is, in fact, disconnected from the gas supply and there purely to provide a shelf! It sits on a cast bracket on the front of the boiler, with its flue slid in to an apperture on the top casting of the boiler. Nothing has changed since BG last looked at it, except I had removed the fire a year or two ago when replacing one of the pilot light relay sensors that fail regularly. We have never had any warnings on the carbon monoxide detectors that are placed above and nearby and I am confident it is almost exactly as it was in 1977 when I installed it. The burner burns cleanly, leaves no soot whatever and makes no unusual roaring noises which might indicate a mixture problem.

The cylinder. Hmmmm ..... yes, the cylinder. Baths and showers had been getting cooler and inconsistent. When I finally got to the cylinder, the 22mm pipe feeding hot water into the heating coil was very hot, while the return - through a valve I fitted but cannot remember the name of, which I think is supposed to limit the temperature of the cylinder - was almost stone cold. I'm not daft enough to think the heating coil was working so efficiently it was giving up virtually every therm of heat to the water in the tank so, the inference is; it is so stuffed with limescale and the valve very likely defunct, that there is almost no flow at all. We used the emersion heater for the first time in I cannot remember how long and we had hot water. :)

The system is a vented system and I don't think I want to go for a pressurised system - the finances won't stand for that. The cylinder first, then perhaps a new CH pump - good old Grundfos still make a pump just like my original - then, gulp, a new boiler. :eek:

Thanks again for the advice, I've found a good suppliers website and I'm saving the pennies. :)

Roger.

Cytrol valve has gone tits up.

Enjoyed reading your post.

I no a guy like you hes a United Boeing engineer with 25 years widebody experience, his diy electrics are shocking.However i digress.

Wait 6 mths and get the new baxi condensing back boiler :)

Cytrol valve has gone **** up.

Enjoyed reading your post.

I no a guy like you hes a United Boeing engineer with 25 years widebody experience, his diy electrics are shocking.However i digress.

Wait 6 mths and get the new baxi condensing back boiler :)

a BAXI rep told me they were available from this week

Don't take this the wrong way, I am not slagging you or the job you did many moons ago, but asking what would replace something designed in the sixties, is like asking what would replace a morris minor.
The overall efficiency of your system (including allowing for significant heat losses due to compulsory ventilation) is very low, possibly under 50%.
A properly installed quality combi, can return in excess of 90%. The 2 are as different as lorry diesel and a bike engine.
It takes more details to come even close to give you any sensible advice about what to replace the current setup with.
Boiler have gone the way cars have. I could take the aforementioned morris apart (if I had the workshop) and make it run better than when it came out of the factory. I had one look under the bonnet (not a morris) yesterday when a warning light came on, slammed the bonnet and called the garage. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back