Valliant VCW Sine 18 T3 WFH Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hope someone can help. My 87 year old mum has a Valliant boiler (about 25 years old) and recently the hot water will only work when the central heating is on. Also her bedroom radiator stays on even if heating is off. Called British Gas as she has a service contract with them and they came today and the engineer said the system was full of scale and the cost of the spare part for the job (?) would be £200 plus VAT and the cost of the work. It seems that this type of problem is not covered under the service contract anymore. I wasn't there when he called but my sister was so I am not sure what spare part he was talking about but on looking through some forums it might be the heat exchanger? I am a bit worried about British Gas advice as they had previously condemned the boiler as they couldn't get the spare parts anymore. We got what was needed direct from Valliant and an apology from BG!
Grateful for any advice as the engineer also said once the job is done the central heating might stop working completely!
Many, many thanks in advance. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Sounds a total crock of ****e, I can't imagine it being anything other than a worn hot water diaphragm. Usually worth replacing the complete water valve for bg as its on contract.

complain, you pay for a service contract to fix the boiler and thats what they should do. If the repairs are excluded then ask them to prove it. Sounds like misdiagnosis anyway

I do have to say that I find the no DHW is about 50-50 seized gland and diaphragm. Parts Center told me the diaphragm had been delisted.

There are begining to be a few parts which are getting difficult to find. I am glad I still have a few wax elements for our customers.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Probably diaphragm or wax capsule. Of course the heat exchanger may well be all scaled up, but it isn't causing the symptoms you describe. I suspect they have a get-out clause on the heat exchanger which is why they are claiming that is the problem.

Big scam. Sounds like a simple problem, but BG don't want to fix your boiler any more. Or want to sell you a new one at an inflated price. Tell them to fix it or refund all the money you've given them if they have no intention of maintaining the boiler. Make it clear you won't be buying a new boiler from them, no matter how many scare stories they tell you. If the central heating stops working after they "fix" it then they'll have to come back, won't they :) If they try to play hardball, I'd get someone else to fix it and then bill BG, but then that's me :evil:

Radiator on, heating off? Does it warm up when hot water is being run? Or all the time?

Easy one mate bg givin u bull. The wax stats gone part 140106 but difficult to get make em fit u a divertor valve as this is available an incorperates the wax stat.. The clues in the rad warmin up so it's not the water valve or diaphram tony!

Hi,

Hope someone can help. My 87 year old mum has a Valliant boiler (about 25 years old) and recently the hot water will only work when the central heating is on.

Many, many thanks in advance. :confused:

Bunny, we can only respond to what we are told. That first posting clearly indicates there is no demand being raised for DHW so the obvious cause is a seized gland or diaphragm or as often happens both when it has been left like that for weeks/months!

Tony

Sorry tony the hw works when heat is on hence the wax stat has stuck the valve half way this is y the rad warms when they r cAlling for hot water! If the water vAlve wasn't lifting it couldn't fire the boiler an the rad can't get hot when they r cAlling for hotwater only can it

Sorry tony the hw works when heat is on hence the wax stat has stuck the valve half way this is y the rad warms when they r cAlling for hot water! If the water vAlve wasn't lifting it couldn't fire the boiler an the rad can't get hot when they r cAlling for hotwater only can it

Bunnyman how dare you argue with Agile after all if you are who i think you are you only have around 24 years of vaillant experience. .And are thought of as the top kiddy around re combis.
Where as Agile is ... emm

Hi

Thanks to all for responses. I have an update - British Gas have ignored my email complaint (no surprise there!).

My sister has been staying with my mum, who isn't well, and decided to try and switch off the radiator in mum's bedroom as it was too hot. Once she switched off the radiator the hot water now comes out of the taps in the bathroom and kitchen when the central heating is off when before it only came out cold!
Any ideas would again be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Khoward, you already have been given the answer. The diverter needs to be looked at.

Thanks for all the advice - just wanted to update about the upstairs radiator and hot water before taking it. Will speak to British Gas about getting the diverter looked at.
Regards. :D

It seems to me that the information being given is confused. We were originally told the boiler would not respond to a demand for DHW only.

Ideal situation for BG or any competent engineer to check and fix the boiler.

Only the entire diverter valve is officially still available. I was also told by a Parts Center that the diaphragms are no longer listed as singles but were listed as a pack of five ( but out of stock everywhere! )

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back