inflatable bladder -tear in seam repair (pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
thought id ask you brain boxs for advice.

my inflatable blaldder has a strange tear at the seam. if it was a puncture i would just patch it,but due to the location at the seam im struggling for the best repair method.
bladder tear - Copy.jpg

thanks

Ad.

Sponsored Links
thanks .I assume its a vinyl ? quite cheapish material.

Is this one of those bladders you use to raise things, such as doors, to align them?
If so then it would probably be cheaper/quicker to just buy a new one. It's very difficult to repair a tear on a seam edge.

Sponsored Links
hi,
its an inflatable bladder for a canoe.
thanks
A.

I think because of where the leak is it would be need professionally welding with a supporting patch over the top. I don't think a glued repair will work.

i agree the patch will not work. the canoe is discontinued hence cannot obtain a replacement easily.

i agree the patch will not work. the canoe is discontinued hence cannot obtain a replacement easily.
Not on a bladder like that, but on my son's inflatable tackle bag, i had some success gluing a split seam by folding the seam over the top of the split and gluing that down with loads of clamping force.

If that doesn't work and a professional repair isn't an option, you could always try cutting a section out around the split and gluing a patch on from the inside that bridges the seam.

thanks,a friend mentioned the hot weld. ill check that out.

Chandlers sell inflatable air bags for dinghy’s various sizes

Look at a site where the describe the process of vacuum bag veneering, such as Joe Woodworker and you'll find details of how to make your own vacuum bags, which are fundamentally the same sort of thing ,that you need. You should be able to make your own.

PS Neoprene glue (for rubber, etc) is even available from Amazon

Look at a site where the describe the process of vacuum bag veneering, such as Joe Woodworker and you'll find details of how to make your own vacuum bags, which are fundamentally the same sort of thing ,that you need. You should be able to make your own.

PS Neoprene glue (for rubber, etc) is even available from Amazon

A mate of mine used to vacuum press his 9+9mm MDF shaker doors. He paid a few hundred quid for the vacuum pump and made his own "bags" from a very durable clear "plastic". The edge seals were just gaffa tape.

I borrowed it when (stupidly) building my kitchen from scratch (by that I mean that I made the carcasses myself, along with the doors- naked MDF- not cost effective...). The bag was big enough to take 8 by 4 foot. Smaller doors, you just folded the bag over.

From memory, given that I was using PVA glue, I waited about 3 hours, per door, if I were to do it again, I might use polyurethane glue and reduce the vacuum press time.

From memory, given that I was using PVA glue, I waited about 3 hours, per door, if I were to do it again, I might use polyurethane glue and reduce the vacuum press time.
Was that for veneer pressing? Frankly on slab doors I'd have gone for a glue film and simply ironed the veneer on, or alternatively spray contact adhesive. Both a lot faster with good results when done competently, especially if you lip your MDF blanks with hardwood first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back