Inlet Pipe on Toilet - Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, not having much luck with out plumbing of late (fog horn toilet, leaking pipe on boiler, this and also a cold tap not working)....anyhow.

Underneath out toilet (Ideal - about 5 years old), there is a flexible pipe which looks like it feeds in to the cistern part of the toilet.

The other day, we noticed that the pipe was leaking, which after feeling around, looks like it is between the nut and the toilet itself.
I've tried tightening the nut (very difficult to get to due to location near the wall), but that seems tight already.
I've turned the water feed off, and drained the cistern. Still some leaking, but very little coming out now.

I've tried opening the top of the cistern, but it is connected inside.
The top of the cistern has a dual (large and small) flush. I've tried untwisting it, but that doesn't work.

Any suggestions what might be wrong, and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Chris

Sponsored Links
if its not a twist one then you need to push the large button in and lift the small button out.
then remove the large button, below the buttons is a screw that secures the lid/button to the flush valve.

if its leaking from the fill valve base then sounds like the rubber seal at base of fill valve is faulty.

water_inlet_valve.jpg

Thanks SS.

I guess what I need to do then is replace the rubber seal on the left hand part inside the toilet?

View media item 28340
Any idea how to remove this to get to the seal?

I can only think it is this, due the leak coming from the top of the pipe, and the nut being tight.

Are the seals easy to buy from Homebase, BandQ etc?

Any idea how to remove this to get to the seal?

remove your flexi pipe and undo the nut under the cistern and the valve will lift out.

Are the seals easy to buy from Homebase, BandQ etc?

not on their own.
only by buying a complete fill valve.

check the seal its rare for them to fail.
check the cistern around hole hasn't got an airline crack.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again SS.
Will look at the seal, and for a hair line crack. Failing that, a new valve. Failing that, a plumber :LOL:

Another stupid question (following on from my stupid question in my other thread) - how do I fill the cistern back up? Turn on the water and wait/flush?

Thanks again - Chris

how do I fill the cistern back up? Turn on the water and wait/flush?

Thanks again - Chris

turn water back on where ever you have turned it off.
stopcock or isolation valve under cistern.
let it fill then flush.

Underneath out toilet (Ideal - about 5 years old), there is a flexible pipe which looks like it feeds in to the cistern part of the toilet.

The other day, we noticed that the pipe was leaking, which after feeling around, looks like it is between the nut and the toilet itself.

It's not clear to me where it is leaking. Is it where the flexible pipe joins the bottom of the fill valve? Or is the water already in the cistern leeking round the blank rubber washer which seals the fill valve to the cistern? If it's the latter then follow the advise above.

If it's the flexi pipe connection then disconnect and check if there is a washer in there (normally fibre), and that it is not damaged. Check at the same time that the threads on the plastic pipe haven't been damaged if the flexi was over-tightened or cross-threaded in the past.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back