inside a combination boiler

Sponsored Links
You'd be surprised how addictive this site can be, both for general DIY advice and also "How/Why/etc does x,y,z work"

I actually didn't answer because the user name implied professional yet the statement of not being professional was ambiguous.

OP
there are two main types of combination boiler
they as said already keep the two water sections seperate
the first type (now the most common) use a plated heat exchanger which consists of several plates pressed together (usually around 12 or so)
the water passes through alternate plates so heating water in 1,3,5 etc and the domestic hot water through 2,4,6,8 etc the heat generated by the boiler heats 1,3,5,7 etc and this heat warms the plates up which in turn heats the water passing through 2,4,6,8 and so giving a set temperature rise according to what is set on the hot water temp dial on the boiler/speed with which water passes through (the slower it passes the hotter the water)

the other type (used by Ferolli amongst others) is the dual tube heat exchanger this has a "S" shape pipe of 20 -22mm ish for the heating and another close by that is only about 10mm the domestic hot water is heated in this tube.

both types usually incorporate a diverter valve which swaps the C/H flow from going round the boiler and rads to just going round the boiler.

hope that explains it for you and as others have said do not request information on gas related parts as we are not likely to give advice on dangerous actions.
there are numerous RGI's on here and we will help people in our area if we can
i have been a gas engineer for over 25 years and still i learn new things regularly, i also spend a lot of time / money gettiing the right training/qualifications so as to be able to fix most problems 1st time. on my last ACS assessments (2 weeks ago) i got 95% 1st go but that still leaves 5% that i needed to look up / refresh myself on. this is why DIY gas is a no go area as without any training you may be unaware of some of the potential problems we deal with on a regular basis.

Sponsored Links
I actually didn't answer because the user name implied professional yet the statement of not being professional was ambiguous.

That's how I read it too Paul, but if I am wrong, then I apologise to Alsheating and everyone else.

no I did not ask the right question but you have asnwered it.
basically what I wanted to know was...if a tenant put urine into a magnaclean cylinder... would that work its way into the water supply, the hot water coming from the taps that is.

This is me getting very very paranoid but thinking health and safety I guess, after a very very evil tenant from hell experience.

thats why I didnt ask in the 1st place incase people took the mick and took advantage of my paranoia. :eek:

thanks
imran

Just because your paranoid, doesn't mean to say they aren't out to get you ;)

If you had a hot water Cylinder its possible if you had a leak in the coil, Primatic Cylinders send shivers down my spine! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back