Inspection Chamber tarmaced over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I just moved into a new build and had a couple of issues with drains.
The builder did a survey (used a drainage Co to do it) and it looks like they have used an inspection Chamber to deal with a direction change from the fall pipe (this chamber only has one entry and exit) to connect it to another manhole about 3ft further down the drive (which joins three pipes into 1)
The first inspection Chamber has been tarmaced over and there is no access except by rods. When we queried this the builder has stated it is OK because it is accessible by rods.
This does not seem right, can anyone point me in the right direction to the building regs or if it is generally accepted practice let me have thoughts.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought it was against building regulations, I couldn’t see anything in the document (part H). Might be worth a mention to labc, or nhbc (whichever one is looking after your site).

Hi all.
I just moved into a new build and had a couple of issues with drains.
The builder did a survey (used a drainage Co to do it) and it looks like they have used an inspection Chamber to deal with a direction change from the fall pipe (this chamber only has one entry and exit) to connect it to another manhole about 3ft further down the drive (which joins three pipes into 1)
The first inspection Chamber has been tarmaced over and there is no access except by rods. When we queried this the builder has stated it is OK because it is accessible by rods.
This does not seem right, can anyone point me in the right direction to the building regs or if it is generally accepted practice let me have thoughts.

generally the rule is: no bends or direction change without rodding access (IE rodding point, MH, inpsection chamber)

building control are a bit more lenient these days as drain blockages are cleared by jetting rather than rods, but tarmacing over an IC -all sounds a bit cowboy to me.

No, chambers are expensive and wont be fitted unless needed. I have also commented on your other post, Builder is a cowboy, get them back to uncover the chamber and make good.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back