Installation of Nest 3rd Generation (Vaillant ecoTec Pro 28)

A word of advice. I would tidy that wiring up. The copper needs to be INSIDE the terminals.
Wrong poster! the photos with the bad wiring were posted by Johnc89. The last question was asked by S.Mulla. Hence why hijacking threads is a bad idea. it leads to confusion.

Sponsored Links
Wrong poster! the photos with the bad wiring were posted by Johnc89. The last question was asked by S.Mulla. Hence why hijacking threads is a bad idea. it leads to confusion.

I know who the poster was, hence the quote to be clear who it was directed at. He only posted on Monday, so still relevant. I do get your point, though - sometimes people inadvertantly reply to posts from years ago!

S.Mulla

Ideally you should have started your own new thread. Adding yours on to an existing one is also called 'hijacking' and is against the forum rules. Because it causes confusion. However don't start a new one now on the same subject as that is also against the rules ;)

The grey and black wires at the Salus go the the Nest Heatlink terminals 2 and 3 Heating 'common' and 'call for heat'. It doesn't matter which way around they go.

The 'Lives' and 'Neutrals' from the Salus go to the 'Live' and 'Neutral' terminals at the Heatlink as as appropriate.

You don't need to do anything to the wiring at the boiler.

The Nest Thermostat needs 12v power for it to operate. It can get this from the 'plug in' power supply, or by installing a cable between the Heatlink and Nest Thermostat to connect T1 at the Heatlink to T1 at the Thermostat, and T2 at the Heatlink to T2 at the Thermostat. This is purely to power the Thermostat and has nothing to do with the wires presently at the Salus.

I know who the poster was, hence the quote to be clear who it was directed at. He only posted on Monday, so still relevant. I do get your point, though - sometimes people inadvertantly reply to posts from years ago!
Ah. OK, sorry. My mistake as your post advising about the bad wiring followed the post from S.Mulla, I had assumed you thought the aforesaid wiring was his.

Sponsored Links
You have the patience of a saint Stem.
Maybe your time and effort would be better spent to encourage the poster/s to use the search function when enquiring about Nest/Hive, or better still advise the use of the instruction manual supplied with the unit.
After all it wouldn't take much to train a chimp to carry out these works.

Thanks Wildcat1961, I'll take that as a compliment. "Patience is a virtue" I believe someone once said.

Having worked with folks in the flesh ie not through a computer where there is better opportunity for dialogue. I find that most have read the instructions but are not able to relate them to their installation. The manuals can't cover every permutation and combination. Some are highly intelligent folks but struggle for several reasons, the three most common I find are:

First reconciling the parts used by different manufacturers. For example, understanding that labels such as 'Call for heat' 'CH On' & 'NO' are actually the same thing, or why their system needs a wire to the 'Hot water off' when someone else with an identical boiler and programmer doesn't.

The second area relates to the exact same components wired together but in a different way. For example the 230V may go to a thermostat first and then to the boiler, or alternatively it may go to the boiler first and then to the thermostat. Same components but the number of wires and their termination are different.

Sometimes the exact same make/model of boiler has the option for 24v control or 230V control and so is wired differently.

As I have also been on the receiving side of help, I like to help others when I can. I read up when I had a problem with my computer recently and was informed that I need to 'clear the cache' which would have meant as much if it had been written in Chinese. No doubt anyone in IT would have considered that to be so simple that a chimp could do it (and actually, I do myself now that I know ;).) So,when someone kindly told me what keys to press I was most grateful. :)

There I should a big difference between offering DIY help and in depth step by step instructions to work on heating and electrical work thatvshould be carried out by a proffessional

I admire your commitment to helping people but you have sleep walked into a grey area and should maybe have a think about it

Pressing a few buttons or advising people is a different thing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back