Installing a gas cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking at the posts for this and it seems though there is a little confusion as to whether a layman can install agas appliance. Is there any-one out there that wants to discuss this topic further? As I am imminently about to install a new cooker.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You can do what you want in your own home, but that doesn't make it right

That was helpful :rolleyes:

IMO no , as you cannot check the safety features work and you usually have to connect the threaded side of the cooker hose to the oven and test that joint afterwards - use a RGI, prob cost you an hours labour tops and then you and your family know your safe ;)

I usually charge about £65 including the supply of the new cooker hose.

Its hardly a worthwhile job when the travelling in London is taken into account but at least its a low enough price to discourage DIY gas work except for the most hardened meanies.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I have been looking at the posts for this and it seems though there is a little confusion as to whether a layman can install agas appliance. Is there any-one out there that wants to discuss this topic further? As I am imminently about to install a new cooker.
Thanks in advance

why would you do such a thing and risk peoples lives if you have no training/competence or experience, and (i assume) no access to the relevant technical docs to ensure you do everything correctly?

oh i know why you want to do it, cause it is easy peasy and any muppet can do it, let us know how you get on

Hi Guys sorry I did mean have a cooker installed. The Q is can a layman or a guy who says he can do it; do it? RSVP

Gasman77 thank you for your comments. It makes a lot of sense. All I need to know is if a chap says he can do it and he is not a RGI is it legal?
RSVP

Woah there. It was never my intention to do it myself so I do not need to be lectured. Just want some advice thats all.

Thanks in advance

why would you do such a thing and risk peoples lives if you have no training/competence or experience, and (i assume) no access to the relevant technical docs to ensure you do everything correctly?

oh i know why you want to do it, cause it is easy peasy and any muppet can do it, let us know how you get on

Just wanted to let you all know its not about getting a cheap job its about a friend saying he can do it and me paying him.

Just wanted to let you all know its not about getting a cheap job its about a friend saying he can do it and me paying him.

Your question may seem innocent enough on the surface. But seriously, you must have been living in a cave if you're still unaware that unregistered people can't charge for gas work.

Or it's a wind up.

Another mug looking to be ripped off to save a few quid :rolleyes: IF YOUR PAYING A MATE TO DO IT WHO IS NOT REGISTERED, WHY NOT PAY SOMEONE WHO HAS A CLUE WHAT THEY ARE DOING, OR ARE YOU REALLY THAT STUPID? we are talking about a job that will cost less than £100 all in ffs!

Simple answer to your question is NO he can't not legally anyway and i'm assuming as he's not an RGI then not safely either,

Woah there. It was never my intention to do it myself so I do not need to be lectured. Just want some advice thats all.

Thanks in advance

ok i retract my post, based on you saying you were going to fit it, this is an ongoing never ending conversation, it is up to everyone to do what they want in their own house, however my comments still stand anyone risking their family is mental, the job itself like most jobs is quite easy for those who do it every day, i would never change the brakes on my car for the same reason however it seems quite an easy job for a mechanic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back