Installing a new consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody got any suggestions on installing a new consumer unit split load board, which will replace the old fuse board. The problem that i envisage is that the wires in the exisiting CU have been trimmed really short and i know from the outset that these will not reach all of the requaired terminals in the new CU.

I have thought about wiring the old wiring to some sort of 100A block and then taking new wiring from there to the new CU. i will then have no problems wiring up.

Can anybody offer any help in extending the wires or advise on whether there is a product out there that will fulfill my needs.

Thanks in advance.... Glad to be back

Sponsored Links
Crimp connectors and a rachet crimping tool is another option. Search the Electrics UK forum for 'crimp' and you will find loads of info.

Thanks for that!

Can you buy 100A blocks with lots of terminals in them which could just possible sit above the new CU, which will then feed new wires into the new CU. At present the biggest i've seen is only 5 ways.

andemz said:
Thanks for that!

Can you buy 100A blocks with lots of terminals in them which could just possible sit above the new CU, which will then feed new wires into the new CU. At present the biggest i've seen is only 5 ways.

You can buy a big adaptable plastic box that could sit next to the CU and put terminals in there and route single cores into the CU, but it is better to crimp, its more permenant.

Sponsored Links
Terminal blocks are likely to bocome loose over time.
Remember when yiu did physics at school and learnt how different metal expand at different rates (bi metallic bar).
Much better to use crimps as crafty said but use a proper rachet crimper.
Even better still to replace any cables you can and leave a foot or so spare for the next poor soul.

Any suggestion on the sort of crimps that one would best use in this situation. I agree that crimping is the best way forward and that a rachet is very much needed.

andemz said:
At present the biggest i've seen is only 5 ways.
Are you sure that what you've seen isn't a 5-terminal SP Henley block?

Anyway - a box containing DIN-rail mounted terminal blocks is another answer...

Hi

I was going to suggest a henley block, that way should you ever decide you can always add a second consumer unit.

Lorraine

lorraine said:
Hi

I was going to suggest a henley block, that way should you ever decide you can always add a second consumer unit.

Lorraine

i think were on about extending the cables into the CU form the ring mains etc.... not the meter tails

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back