Installing a Plasma TV on plasterboard wall!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can anyone advise me on how to install a plasma wall bracket onto a plasterboard wall? The plasterboard does not appear to be that thick and I have hung a lot of things around the house, but not something so expensive. The bracket supports up 100kg and the plasma TV weighs 30kg. I did try to install a portable TV on one of the bedroom walls but was sadly not strong enough . I have been advised that there are special plasterboard plugs available but I cannot find this anywhere!!
Any ideas would be great..

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to screw it into the studs in the wall. If they are the wrong width apart a nice piece of sturdy ply screwed to the studs would make a nice base.

This is certainly how I intend to mount my plasma when I move.

What do you mean by plasterboard wall? Is it a partition wall - a timber frame with plasterbaord nailed to each side. Or is there a solid brick/breeze block wall behind the plasterboard but a gap beteen them due to the plasterboard being attatched via wooden battens or thick dobs of plasterboard adhesive?

When I came to installing my towel radiator to my recently plastered bathroom wall I found that once I drilled through the plasterboard there was a 10-15mm gap before I hit the brick due to the plasterboard adhesive. To ensure a firm support for the towel rad (it was quite large) I cut away a square of plasterboard where I intended to attatch the rad and filled the square with plaster, leaving it 1-2mm below the finnished surface level. Then I used a bit of filler to get the final level, sanded and painted and hung the radiator which is now solid as a rock (have to stop the kids from climbing it like a ladder!).

Yes its a bit of a hassle and takes a couple of days, but how much are you spending on the TV?

Sponsored Links
Hi everybody

Thanks for all the replys so far. The wall is as GJH mentioned in his reply, it is plasterboard with a gap before the outside wall attached with blobs of plasterboard adhesive. I like the idea of cutting a square out and filling it with plaster to get a more security finish. The T.V is very expensive , so all the support i can get for the bracket the better. Thanks again everyone that posted replys, i've got some excellent ideas :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back