Installing a Yamitsu Switch Box

Couldn't I just put a piece of bigger cable around the existing cable to make the fit?

So that's the only problem you see?

Sponsored Links
Yamitsu said:
Can I put a 3Amp appliance into a 2.5 Amp?
ban-all-sheds said:
No, but you don't have any - you said your largest was about 1.09A
Yamitsu said:
As to the 3amps into 2.5amp outlets:

Question: Will this affect the appliances in anyway?
Why did you ask that again when I'd already pointed out that you don't have any appliances that draw 3A?

Yamitsu said:
I was actually thinking that the appliance may not work properly if the outlet is for 1mm sq and I put in a 0.75 mm sq?? Am I wrong?
I am beginning to wonder if you have the faintest idea about anything you are doing...

I thought that was what forums were for, to learn what we do not know? :confused:

And also, correct I do not have any 3amp outlets but what I wanted to know was, by putting them into 2.5amp outlets will this in anyway damage the appliances?

And, I take it that the appliances WILL work properly if the outlet is for 1mm sq and I put in a 0.75 mm sq? Will they in anyway be damaged?

Thx

Yamitsu said:
I thought that was what forums were for, to learn what we do not know? :confused:
Fora like these are great places to ask questions, but asking questions is not a great way to learn the basics. If you're starting from a position of knowing very little, what happens if you don't think to ask about something because you had absolutely no idea that you needed to know it?

And also, correct I do not have any 3amp outlets but what I wanted to know was, by putting them into 2.5amp outlets will this in anyway damage the appliances?
And this is an example - you just do not have the most basic understanding of electrics. The outlets of the switch box are rated to be able to safely supply 2.5A. You keep on asking about 3A, but as I keep on pointing out you do not have any appliances that draw 3A, your largest appliance draws just over 1A. So your largest appliance will not overload the switch box.

Asking if the appliances will be damaged if the supply you connect them to is capable of delivering 2.5A is like asking "My car can do 70mph. Will it be damaged if I drive it on a road with a speed limit of 100mph?"

And, I take it that the appliances WILL work properly if the outlet is for 1mm sq and I put in a 0.75 mm sq? Will they in anyway be damaged?
Same basic, fundamental, complete misunderstanding of electrics. "My car is 2m wide - will it be damaged if I drive it on a road 6m wide?"

What might happen if you use a 0.75mm² flex is that the stuffing gland won't seal properly and water might get into the switch box. Water and electricity do not mix.

Given that this involves outside appliances and accessories, and possibly replacing the flex to appliances that are underwater, I would strongly urge that you get an electrician before your lack of understanding gets you hurt.

Sponsored Links
It took a while, but you've finally managed to clearly answer my questions!!! ;)

Woohoo!!! ;)

Thanking you kindly!! :D

ps But one question relating to the following:

"you do not have any appliances that draw 3A, your largest appliance draws just over 1A"

How do you know how much my largest appliance draws, please?

pps THANKS!

Pond pump - 60W, UV filter - 15W ish. Maybe ban has a pond too?

One note of advice: DO NOT TRY TO REPLACE THE FLEX ON ANY MAINS UNDERWATER APPLIANCE. THEY ARE SEALED FOR LIFE AND NO AMOUNT OF SILICONE WILL SEAL IT BACK UP. If you do need to uprate the size of the cable, do it above water with a weatherproof junction box and glands.

Yamitsu said:
It took a while, but you've finally managed to clearly answer my questions!!! ;)
Why did you need them answering?

Just how poor is your understanding of electricity? Did my analogies not bring it home to you how ignorant you are?

"you do not have any appliances that draw 3A, your largest appliance draws just over 1A"

How do you know how much my largest appliance draws, please?
Do you not remember what you wrote only 2 days ago?

Yamitsu said:
I have various items to attach to this box, all of which use 3Amp fuses and use from 20 Watts to about 250 Watts.

I can see what the missing piece of the jiwsaw is, I think the OP may not be familiar with the standard calculation for power :confused: :

Power (measured in watts) = voltage (measured in volts) x currrent (measured in amps)

Thanks Adam_151 - I'm beginning to understand now!! ;)

I went to Maplins today to try and find a power supply for the box but they don't supply a cable big enough!!!!

I didn't think it would be that hard to find!!! :confused:

Looking for 8-13mm diameter; cross-section 3 x 2.5mm sq - Anyone know of a supplier? :confused:

I did see a cable which was 3 x 1.5mm sq - that was selling for £30!!!! :eek: You have got to be kidding me??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thx

Yamitsu said:
I did see a cable which was 3 x 1.5mm sq - that was selling for £30!!!! :eek: You have got to be kidding me??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thx

so how much do you think this is going to cost?

Yamitsu said:
Looking for 8-13mm diameter; cross-section 3 x 2.5mm sq - Anyone know of a supplier? :confused:

Thx
Yamitsu, i understand what you are trying to do, and how easy you think it is (or at least should be) the truth of the matter is you have not the knowledge to carry out the job properly, you really should get an electrican in to run a swa cable from your CU to an outside distribution point.

It does look easy when you see it at a garden centre, fountains running, waterfall going, uv hidden away some where, but like you should, they have electricians in to do the distribution side for them, that way it is safe and done properly.

remember electricity has no prejudices, it kills any one

What do you think the likely charge would be for a job like this?

Thx

please note 9 which is here

breezer said:
Yamitsu, i understand what you are trying to do, and how easy you think it is (or at least should be) the truth of the matter is you have not the knowledge to carry out the job properly
Breezer is right. For example:

You don't need 2.5mm² - 1.5mm² will be fine for your load. As you should know, from a load point of view you could use smaller (down to 0.75mm²) with a 5A fuse in the plug, but that would be too small for the stuffing gland to seal onto.

I did see a cable which was 3 x 1.5mm sq - that was selling for £30!!!! :eek: You have got to be kidding me??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If that was 1.5mm² flex, it must have been a 100m reel for that price, even at Maplin's prices - why on earth were you looking at that much?

Is this something else you've not told us (I know nobody has thought to ask) - how far away from the house will this switch box be??

And Maplin is a daft place to go for flex - you'd be much better off at somewhere like B&Q. Can't believe I just said that...

ban-all-sheds, are you feeling unwell? after all you have just suggested a shed

ban-all-sheds said:
And Maplin is a daft place to go for flex - you'd be much better off at somewhere like B&Q. Can't believe I just said that...

Ban,

The cable wasn't even 25metres long but that's what they were charging - I was just seeing what they had!

And the box will be positioned on the side of the house - so not far away at all.

I shall try this B&Q place..........remember it's the REAL DEAL NOW!

Thx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back