Installing a Yamitsu Switch Box

Yamitsu said:
I went to Maplins today to try and find a power supply for the box but they don't supply a cable big enough!!!!

I dont want to cause anyone to have a breakdown here, what a trial to install a switchbox! But why do you need a power supply, or are you just not conversant with the terms?

You say the switch box will be mounted on the outside of the house, how far is the pond from the house. You really want the box close to the appliances that it switches. :confused:

If the gland isnt tight enough around the cable, to stop water penetration you can always fill the fitting with silicone before doing it up, I tend to do this even if the gland is a snug fit. ;)

Sponsored Links
Yamitsu said:
The cable wasn't even 25metres long but that's what they were charging - I was just seeing what they had!
£30 for less than 25m of 1.5mm² flex?? :eek:

Are you sure it wasn't a windup extension reel?

Nope, wasn't a wind-up and i'm not winding anyone up!!

Go check it out for yourselves.......................................................

nstreet,

I need a mains supply coz I have to plug it in somewhere, no??!!!

The appliances will be 10 metres away, they already plug into outside sockets so there won't be a problem.

As to the gland not being tight enough, I went to B&Q and a helpful man suggested that I tape around the end with electrical tape - should work?!!

They sell SWA cabling but only in 10metre rolls for about £10..........was also suggested to me that I could use rubber flex cabling and just house it in some pvc tubing..........thoughts please?

Thx

Sponsored Links
1.5mm² artic cable = approx 60p per metre

tape is a bit of a bodge and can't be relied upon to maintain ip rating

You would have to swap the stuffing gland for a cw swa gland if you want to use swa cable

I fail to see what purpose the pvc conduit is trying to serve?

It might be in the thread further up, but I need to ask the question, how do you plan to run this cable? clipped to a wall, underground (if so you must use swa, or galvanised steel conduit)?

Personnaly, and no offence meant, but I think you might be a little out your depth with this and I recommend calling in an electrician, I will still answer any questions here, but that does not mean my viewpoint has changed

Yamitsu said:
Nope, wasn't a wind-up and i'm not winding anyone up!!

Go check it out for yourselves.......................................................
Find it on their website and post the URL here...

Yamitsu said:
I went to Maplins today to try and find a power supply for the box but they don't supply a cable big enough!!!!
nstreet said:
But why do you need a power supply, or are you just not conversant with the terms?
Yamitsu said:
I need a mains supply coz I have to plug it in somewhere, no??!!!
Are you saying that your house doesn't have a mains supply?

Just what was it you were trying to buy from Maplin?

The appliances will be 10 metres away, they already plug into outside sockets so there won't be a problem.
Apart from that switch box not having sockets for them to plug into...

And I'm not trying to be superior, but I have no confidence that you'll have a clue what to do about cutting the plugs off and hard wiring the cables in, nor that you'll even have the right tools.

As to the gland not being tight enough, I went to B&Q and a helpful man suggested that I tape around the end with electrical tape - should work?!!
It was this bloke, wasn't it?:

B&QMAN.jpg

No - it won't work for sure, or for ever, and therefore it could let water in and therefore it could be dangerous. He should not have suggested that.

They sell SWA cabling but only in 10metre rolls for about £10..........was also suggested to me that I could use rubber flex cabling and just house it in some pvc tubing..........thoughts please?
Crap idea.

But you can't use SWA - firstly the gland on that box is not the right sort, secondly you were talking about plugging this box in and you can't put SWA into a plug, and thirdly you don't have the skills to terminate SWA.

Call an electrician.

yamitsu: look at things from this way. you dont know what your doin. doin it wrong could be fatal, and remember, you cant see electricity

also, think of the amount of time you have wasted on trips to maplin for cable you didnt actually get, and you still dont kno what to do. for the amount of time wasted, it was probably quicked gettin a sparky in the first place

as for making the cable wider to go in the gland, insulation tape is no good. what you could use is rubber insulated tape. should work

In descending order of preference, what to do if a gland is too big for the cable:

1) Replace the gland
2) Replace the cable
999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999) Use self amalgamating tape around the cable to thicken it up
1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000) Use heatshrink around the cable to thicken it up

Adam,

Thx

Andrew2022,

Learning takes time................

Ban,

Do you know if Hi-tuf is flexible?

Thx

andrew2022 said:
yamitsu: look at things from this way. you dont know what your doin. doin it wrong could be fatal, and remember, you cant see electricity

Only when you get that bright flash in front of your eyes and a loud bang, when you've got it wrong!. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back