Installing a zanussi ZCE5200w electric cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

i just bought a zanussi ZCE5200w electric cooker and discovered they deliver them without the appropriate connection cable.

before I install it i would appreciate it if someone could just agree with what i plan to do.

i have a dedicated cooker socket on its own fused circuit.

i also have a 2.5mm cable from my previous cooker, which was a much smaller tabletop baby belling. i wired that in myself years ago.

from the diynot page "choosing the correct size cable" i see that as my new cooker is between 4800w and 6000w I should get myself a 4mm cable instead.

i plan to then switch the power off at the mains and wire the cable wires to those in the socket. Then wire the red cable wire to the Live terminal on the appliance, the black to the neutral terminal, and the other wire to the earth terminal.

is that all ok?
i know some of this is a bit basic, but better safe than sorry,

cheers

Sponsored Links
Just to confirm, this is definitely a cooker connection point you've got?

IE, supplied by a 30 amp fuse or breaker?

Also, i don't know what size cable you should use but i'm guessing bigger than 4mm!

hi,

i had an electrician by at the weekend to check out replacing the fusebox in the building. he knew i was going to install a new cooker to this point and was fine with the fuse and the point.

i now have a 6mm cable.

so, remaining queries i have are just around how to wire the cable into the point and the appliance (see my first posting)

cheers for your help

Sponsored Links
i wondered about that. is it a legal requirement? zanussi's product booklet says connection either by an electrician or "a competent person".

As far as i'm aware, yes, however, i'm not an electrician, suprised one of the resident sparks' hasn't shown up yet :D

well macmini, you were doing such a terrific job they didn't want to interrupt . . . :LOL:

I'm sure one of them will be along soon . . . :rolleyes:

Strange one this as you are doing the job properly by upping the cable size, you are not altering the protective measures of the circuit. It is definately worth a phonecall to your LABC to get their view of notifiable or not.

crafty1289 said:
Spark123 said:
something or other
see, here's one now!

:cool: :cool: :LOL: :LOL:
:confused: :eek: :D :LOL:

Still undecided on wether it is notifiable or not, my current line of thought is on the side of caution and as the OP is altering the CSA of fixed wiring I'm thinking it will be notifiable, although LABC should be able to verify this.

oh sod it, i'm getting an electrician!

thanks for all the advice anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back