Installing downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add 5 LED downlights in the kitchen. There is currently a ceiling rose light installed.

I've done quite a bit of research (not to mention I've done it before many years ago but can't remember a bloomin' thing!) but can't quite find the exact and non-conflicted answers but hope you can answer them:

1. It seems 1mm cable is fine but if 1.5mm is already being used must I keep it consistent?
  2. It seems a junction box is needed whereby the 5 downlights are all (parallel) connected to it along with the ceiling rose. If so, which type of junction box (can I simply use a large chocbox?) should/must I use? If you can put a link to one please that would be great.
  3. Can I put the junction box on or between a ceiling joist or must it now be visible for access at all times? Someone has suggested it needs to be put somewhere on the ceiling such as next to the ceiling rose but surely that spoils the appearance?
I take it this all falls under the Part P in which case does the certifier need to have access to everything such as under the floorboards?

Thanks and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
It seems 1mm cable is fine but if 1.5mm is already being used must I keep it consistent?
It doesn't matter.
If you use the boxes below, a length of flex for the light connection is better.

It seems a junction box is needed whereby the 5 downlights are all (parallel) connected to it along with the ceiling rose. If so, which type of junction box (can I simply use a large chocbox?) should/must I use? If you can put a link to one please that would be great.
Junction boxes with screw terminals must be accessible, this does not mean they must be visible.
Google Ashley J501, these are made for inserting through the downlight hole and therefore accessible.
Junction boxes should have cable restraints for such use.
You could have one per light and loop the supply.

I take it this all falls under the Part P in which case does the certifier need to have access to everything such as under the floorboards?
Every job should be tested to ensure it is safe but there are no requirements for notification.
(Not actually anything to do with Part P. That is a misnomer lots of people use.)

It doesn't matter.
If you use the boxes below, a length of flex for the light connection is better.

In fact, could I just use 2-core flex cable to connect all the downlights together in a parallel circuit? That way I can actually fit the flex cables in the connector blocks already present on each downlight thus not having to use junction boxes.

I don't know if this is against regulations but it would make it simpler and easier. As you can tell, I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to stuff like this!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again I really appreciate this, one more thing if you could help me with please.

These downlights are being installed under the bathroom floorboards which is above the kitchen. Do I need any special covers or requirements because of this?

Thanks very much.

You can connect the lights one to the other, but use 3 core flex.

Thanks.

Although, this is what I can't get my head round though. The downlights are only 2-core so how and why would I need to use earth? Obviously there is earth in the junction box but do you have to continue the link regardless? I will Google this when I have more time but if it's possible to explain it here as well then that would be great.

Thanks again.

You can connect the lights one to the other, but use 3 core flex.

Thanks.

Although, this is what I can't get my head round though. The downlights are only 2-core so how and why would I need to use earth? Obviously there is earth in the junction box but do you have to continue the link regardless? I will Google this when I have more time but if it's possible to explain it here as well then that would be great.

Thanks again.
I would guess, the 3 core is incase you or others may want to change the light fittings at some time.
I have just changed to led downlights (6w), they are brilliant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back