installing fire door and frame advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I have knocked through my hallway wall into the garage and in the process of installing a fire door, I have the door 762mm (30") wide fd30 and a rebated fire rated frame and strips also rated self closing hinges, just after some advice on what to set my frame width at and how much space to leave at bottom of door is there a minimum gap?

kind regards

Sponsored Links
Hi guys
I have knocked through my hallway wall into the garage and in the process of installing a fire door, I have the door 762mm (30") wide fd30 and a rebated fire rated frame and strips also rated self closing hinges, just after some advice on what to set my frame width at and how much space to leave at bottom of door is there a minimum gap?

kind regards
30" plus 3-4mm up each side. You need to make sure you have room for the intumescent strips/smoke brushes, so that the closers can work.

OOI, can you post a link to your self-closing hinges please?

You should refer to the door manufacturer and their guidance for gaps.

Typically, it's no more than 4mm sides and top and no more than 8mm bottom.

You will need a closer, and can't rely on hinges alone to shut the door.

Sponsored Links

thanks i will add a closer also

FIRAS (one of the two authorised fire door certification bodies) quote 2 to 4mm at sides and top, maximum 4mm gap at the bottom (this can be achieved by a fire-rated drop seal either routed into the bottom of the door or a surface mounted, and a fire-rated drop seal) with fire-rated hinges are mandatory. "Self-closing hinges" won't be easily adjustable so I think they'll either slam shut noisily or they won't close properly past the intumescent seals, either way I wouldn't entertain them

thanks i will add a closer also
Don't use a closer with self-closing hinges - you'll find that it becomes difficult to set-up the closer so that it closes at the right rate with a soft final closing action (as opposed to just slamming). Are you fitting brush/intumescent strips to the casing as opposed to flush intumescent strips? These are handy because they act as a draught excluder as well

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back