Fire Doors Fire Doors Fire Doors Everywhere !!!

Sponsored Links
Sorry I thought thats what you were implying with the comment about "fires happen to everyone else"
Sounded like your opinion was that fire doors are better than smokes ?

Sponsored Links
Now they are having second thoughts as it is a barrier to wheelchair users.
95% of all domestic garages in this country are far too small to actually get a wheelchair and a car in anyway, so what does it matter? Many are too small for a car, even!

Can someone explain to me why a loft conversion instantly converts a house from "fine for over a hundred years" to "Christ, this place is a disabled person tinder-box death trap!"

Can someone explain to me why a loft conversion instantly converts a house from "fine for over a hundred years" to "Christ, this place is a disabled person tinder-box death trap!"

We live in a nanny state with meddling civil servants who think they know best and want to micro-manage our lives.

It instantly increases the distance someone has to travel to escape from the room to the outside including stair flights, and the distance someone has to travel to rescue them from the conversion.

If the worst happens (remember though it only happens to other people) and for arguments sake lets say the kitchen door has been left open and the hallway and only means of escape from the loft or upper rooms (other than the windows) is full of smoke one might like to consider throwing oneself out of a window rather than face death by fire or smoke inhalation and whilst the chances of dying is fairly low when jumping out of a typical first floor window they're significantly higher when taking the leap of faith from a loft window, another storey up and maybe consider that at 3am when you've been woken up rather rudely I might add by your smoke alarm and taken a couple of (dare I say it) bit whiffy breaths of silky smooth smoke and your heads about to explode with the fumes and panic not knowing if the other occupants in your house will make it out or have already been toasted (or maybe they're hiding in a wardrobe) wearing nothing but your Y-fronts you have to climb out of your loft window and cling on to your roof and then in the dark try and land on something soft. So with that in mind our bureaucratic state believe it is better to be able to close the loft door to that cheeky smoke and flames thing and stand at the window and whimper until the fire brigade can get you down.

I get the need to upgrade the warning a escape system .... I will for sure be putting a fire door on the attic room but to upgrade the rest of the house ?
You see if god forbid we had a fire today, then we don't have fire doors ( just battery powered smokes ) So legislatively I don't see the difference in terms of risk from first floor at all.
The new second floor ( single bedroom ) is different I know ..

This is my plan

Smokes in every room
Fire door on the attic room
and from kitchen.
Escape window onto the valley of the roof
Fire extinguishers available at key places

Your thoughts are appreciated .. I want to do the right thing.

I get the need to upgrade the warning a escape system .... I will for sure be putting a fire door on the attic room but to upgrade the rest of the house ?
Yes that's the bit that seemed odd to me; that one must replace all the doors in the house with fire doors. Given that requirement, it also seems odd to me that you can't buy traditional-looking firedoors more easily. Surely most building that ever have loft conversions are old buildings? the sort that people now try to preserve original features and stylings of. But it's like door manufacturers go out of their way not to offer any nice looking doors. :unsure:

Smoke detectors in every room is a bit over the top. Certainly in the circulation space on each floor and maybe a heat detector in the kitchen if you really feel the need.

I did a bit of research last night and the largest cause of fatal house fires is "smokers materials", 37%, so giving up smoking is probably the best fire prevention measure.

Come on guys, its pretty obvious isn't it? You are creating a safe means of escape from your new loft room and having some ill fitting doors dating from 1851 fitted to the existing first floor rooms will hardy cut the mustard if a fire starts in a bedroom - at least the door can (hopefully) be shut upon discovery that the overloaded socket behind the dressing table has started to smoulder giving some additional time to escape and prevent the spread of fire and smoke.

Come on guys, its pretty obvious isn't it? You are creating a safe means of escape from your new loft room and having some ill fitting doors dating from 1851 fitted to the existing first floor rooms will hardy cut the mustard if a fire starts in a bedroom - at least the door can (hopefully) be shut upon discovery that the overloaded socket behind the dressing table has started to smoulder giving some additional time to escape and prevent the spread of fire and smoke.

I agree with the principle ... I just want the safest / most cost effect / least disruptive option ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back