Installing new light fixture.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm hoping to fit a new 3 light LED fixture to replace the single pendant light in the bedroom.

These are the cables/wires coming from the ceiling and the new light fixture I want to replace it with...
20180502_153054.jpg 20180819_100651-1482x1976.jpg

I've been browsing the web for a few tips/ideas because i'm not an electrician and want to be sure I do it right. https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/replacelightfitting.htm

My few queries are;

a) Is it correct that the 3 red wires (live) all need to be connected to the 'LIVE' terminal on the new fitting.
b) The neutral (Black) wires to be connected to the 'NEUTRAL' terminal on the new fitting.
b) All the earth wires need to be connected to the 'EARTH' terminal on the new fitting. If so, the copper wiring looks quite thick. Will they all fit into the terminal block? Is there a way to make them fit?
c) In the first picture is the switch cable the 'Black' wire on the right connected to the 2 hole terminal block and where would I connect this in the terminal block of the new light fitting?

Many thanks in advance if you could assist me in this matter

Sponsored Links
a) No.
b) Yes, the neutral wires; not all the black ones - neutral does not mean black.
b) :?: Probably not. Use another connector and one wire to the light.
c) Yes, It goes to the Live of the light. It should be sleeved Red or Brown.

Fundamentally - you must connect the new light in exactly the same way as the old one is.

Hi EFL thanks for your reply.

So the switched live is the only live wire I need to connect to new light fitting. (PS I'm presuming it's switched live because the other two black cables are connected as neutrals in old ceiling rose. There was no red tape wrapped round it.) Do I leave the other 3 red wires in their existing connector block or put them in a new one? Most of setup using the old wiring colours i.e. red = live, black = neutral. House was rewired in late 80's or early 90's I think.

'Use another connector' for Earth wires? I'm okay to wire one earth wire into new light fitting earth terminal and leave the other two wired were they are?

I'm trying to connect new light same way as old, but because it's internally wired there seems to be less connections to make to new light.

Sponsored Links
So the switched live is the only live wire I need to connect to new light fitting. (PS I'm presuming it's switched live because the other two black cables are connected as neutrals in old ceiling rose. There was no red tape wrapped round it.)
Yes.

Do I leave the other 3 red wires in their existing connector block or put them in a new one?
If your new light will fit over the rose then you can leave it there.

Most of setup using the old wiring colours i.e. red = live, black = neutral. House was rewired in late 80's or early 90's I think.
No matter.

'Use another connector' for Earth wires? I'm okay to wire one earth wire into new light fitting earth terminal and leave the other two wired were they are?
In other words connect a pice of wire, green and yellow to the earths already there and connect the other end to new light.

I'm trying to connect new light same way as old, but because it's internally wired there seems to be less connections to make to new light.
Well your old light is the white flex which only has two wires; the new one needs three.
The cables and wires you can see are the house fixed wiring.

You could remove the flex from the old light and connect to the new - plus the extra earth wire.
Not saying you should; just you could.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back