Installing new shower cubical

Sponsored Links
ye lol,
i have the hot water tank in a cupboard, and a header tank in the loft for the cold water.

reading on a bit,

Look what it says on page 15:--

What if anything electrical goes wrong?
The electrical system of these steam showers is simple, just three key parts, Steam Generator, transformer box and supply and the control panel inside the shower. Supply your copy of
the electrical installation invoice you were given when electrics were installed (cannot help you without this so keep t safe!) tell us what part you need on the claim form and it will be
sent by post to you.

Sounds a bit like, if you don't have proof (via an invoice from sparky) of correct installation, then you may have problems with a subsequent warranty claim.

This is almost certainly not enforceable. Its the same deal as car manufacturers trying not to honour warranties when non OEM parts have been used or work not carried out by the dealer. AFAIK there is plenty of case law that says whatever you did must have caused the 'problem'. Imagine, the plumbing bits go wrong and start leaking water and the manufacturer wants proof the electrics were installed by a qualified person? Pish!

reading on a bit,

Look what it says on page 15:--

What if anything electrical goes wrong?
The electrical system of these steam showers is simple, just three key parts, Steam Generator, transformer box and supply and the control panel inside the shower. Supply your copy of
the electrical installation invoice you were given when electrics were installed (cannot help you without this so keep t safe!) tell us what part you need on the claim form and it will be
sent by post to you.

Sounds a bit like, if you don't have proof (via an invoice from sparky) of correct installation, then you may have problems with a subsequent warranty claim.

This is almost certainly not enforceable. Its the same deal as car manufacturers trying not to honour warranties when non OEM parts have been used or work not carried out by the dealer. AFAIK there is plenty of case law that says whatever you did must have caused the 'problem'. Imagine, the plumbing bits go wrong and start leaking water and the manufacturer wants proof the electrics were installed by a qualified person? Pish!

Read again, the bit about a sparkies invoice was in the section 'what happens if the electrics go wrong?' , nothing to do with plumbing. There is also a disclaimer in regard to leaks

You may be right, but i wouldn't want to be in a position of having to argue the case if i hadn't followed manufacturers instructions. They also have taken the trouble to inform the user of their legal position regarding the installation, this is clear.
If you didn't do the job properly and then tried to take them to small claims, you could easily be shooting yourself in the foot by highlighting your own law breaking activities.

I think the shower supplier has their bases covered and the only prudent course of action is to do it right - employ a spark

Sponsored Links
Read again, the bit about a sparkies invoice was in the section 'what happens if the electrics go wrong?' , nothing to do with plumbing. There is also a disclaimer in regard to leaks
All of that is unenforceable.

For one thing, springing such a condition by sticking it in the small print after the sale has been made isn't enforceable. Also, insisting the use of on paid electrician is an Unfair Contract Term.

And no disclaimer can negate a consumer's statutory rights, so a manufacturing fault that causes a leak that causes damage is all the manufacturer's fault and liability.

You may be right, but i wouldn't want to be in a position of having to argue the case if i hadn't followed manufacturers instructions. They also have taken the trouble to inform the user of their legal position regarding the installation, this is clear.
It might be clear, but it's irrelevant.

who is 'enforcing' what?
Im not sure why this word came into the conversation?
Its not in the small print, it is quite easy to see.
IMO, its more a 'call my bluff' situation

Consider this:-

Electrical device fails,
supplier asks for evidence of correct installation to validate the warranty claim.
Consumer cannot do this.
Supplier says 'it clearly states in the instructions...blah blah... claim refused.
consumer says:, ill take you to court then.
supplier, ok, but might i advise you that in doing so, it may well become apparent in a court of law, that you have broken building regulation laws in respect to elec. installs in special locations. That could be punishable by a fine of upto £5000. Would you like the contact details for our solicitor?'
consumer; erm :oops: , how much did you say that part cost? :cry:

who is 'enforcing' what?
The courts enforce English Law.

Im not sure why this word came into the conversation?
Because consumer rights and contract law were being discussed.

Consider this:-

Electrical device fails,
supplier asks for evidence of correct installation to validate the warranty claim.
Consumer cannot do this.
Consumer is not obliged to do this.

Supplier says 'it clearly states in the instructions...blah blah... claim refused.
consumer says:, ill take you to court then.
supplier, ok, but might i advise you that in doing so, it may well become apparent in a court of law, that you have broken building regulation laws in respect to elec. installs in special locations.
That's a separate matter. Whether or not a building notice was issued has no bearing on whether or not there was a manufacturing fault.

argue the toss if you wish, but personally i dont think its worth digging your heels in over speculation.

It seems that the consumer would have to take the supplier to court, if the consumer had not followed the manufacturer's instructions, i feel that they will be fighting a rather steep uphill battle.
Failure to follow the instructions IMO puts the supplier on the high ground, fight if you wish! :rolleyes:

Surely the simplest and best idea would be to comply with the instructions? They are clear in their requirement and are not unreasonable.

argue the toss if you wish, but personally i dont think its worth digging your heels in over speculation.
Then I suggest that you undig your heels and stop speculating.

I was simply stating it how it is - no toss is being argued.

It seems that the consumer would have to take the supplier to court, if the consumer had not followed the manufacturer's instructions, i feel that they will be fighting a rather steep uphill battle.
Is that not speculation?

Failure to follow the instructions IMO puts the supplier on the high ground
Is that not speculation?

Surely the simplest and best idea would be to comply with the instructions? They are clear in their requirement and are not unreasonable.
They are unreasonable - that's The Whole Point.

oh well, i disagree, but i can't really be too bothered with arguing about it.

The OP is at liberty to read ALL of this thread and come to a conclusion himself.

My opinion is that if he employs suitably qualified/registered trademen to carry out the work, there would be hopefully be no problems at all.

Sounds not a bit like, but entirely, exactly, solely and 100% like they know they have made a flaky product and are desperate to wriggle out of as many warranty claims as they can, even to the extent of using illegal terms and conditions.

Sounds not a bit like, but entirely, exactly, solely and 100% like you should not touch that product with a bargepole.

Well, i think that maybe a touch too black and white.
I wouldn't go as far as to say its a complete pile of kak based on the way they wrote the instruction/information, but then again i wouldn't say it was the best thing since sliced bread either.

If suitably installed, theres nothing to really suggest that it will give problems.

I suppose the OP has already made up his mind as to whether he wants it or not, i doubt he's too bothered about our opinions in that respect :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back