Installing patio doors in single story garage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year.

I want to turn my garage into a home office and want to install patio doors in one side by creating one big aperture where the widows are now. It’s single skin brick construction. What should I use above the doors to support the roof?

Thanks,

Jon

Attachments

• iOS Image - 2180732347.jpg
    iOS Image - 2180732347.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 177
Sponsored Links
Apologies it’s 2.4m oh and there is a pilaster in the middle.

Sponsored Links
travis perkins do a 2.7m conc lintel. i’d probably double them up with a row of concrete blocks. looks a bit high for a full height door.
Other people will have other ideas.

You've got a false ridge and roof sag, so you may want to look at the supports to the roof rafters generally, and whether there is need for additional horizontal restraint of the rafter ends, not just support above the door.

You've got a false ridge and roof sag, so you may want to look at the supports to the roof rafters generally, and whether there is need for additional horizontal restraint of the rafter ends, not just support above the door.
What's a false ridge?

Depends on the height to the top of the doors and how much masonry you end up keeping above the lintel, but i'd go for an off the shelf steel lintel - something like a Catnic CCS.

You could use a concrete lintel but at a 2.4m span it'll weigh an absolute tonne and be a pain to install as a DIY job if you're doing it by yourself...

Hi thanks for all the helpful comments. I’m going to re tile the roof and add some roof lights so will replace any rotten or damaged timbers when I do.

Right. But there is still apparent sag in the roof, and you may want to investigate that and design in some support/restraint as necessary, not just jump straight to a lintel support.

Also, with single skin walls, it can be difficult to fit the required depth lintel or beam above the frame as there is little room between the frame head and the wall plate/rafters. So forming piers either side of the opening and setting the lintel/beam back, allows it to fit below the rafters.

Double/treble timbers bolted to create a beam are often OK in these situations, and save messing about with brickwork, but steel beams might have less depth if space is tight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back