Insulate under floor - BC notifyable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning All,

In 2000 i extended my house, and as part of the BC regs then, i was required to insulate the extended part of the house.

Now I'm thinking of doing the rest of the house, and looking on posts on here, and what i see on the net, i wasn't and still am not sure if i need to inform building control.

The work will be:

Rip up existing floor boards, and insulate (with an unknown insulation at present) between floor joists of the suspended timber frame. The floor will then be covered with new ply or chipboard sheets and screwed down.

Looking at some posts on here, its notifiable. Looking on the web, there's no mention.

So i called Brent building control this morning and asked... they said no over the phone...

So where do i stand? should i get it in writing from them?

If it isnt notifiable, how does it work with EPC certs? do i just take a picture as proof to say it was/is done when i get the certificate done or would they have to look?

Sponsored Links
The council is wrong - it is subject to notice.
(it wouldn't be if you crawled under the floor and fitted it from below, but it is in your case because you are removing the boarding).
But why bother? Why pay the council money???
Just do it.

Just do it.

If i just do it, how does that work with EPC or is it down to the individual who does the check?

At the moment i am looking at Solar PV installation, but want to do what i can to ensure that the house falls at or above Level C.

My honest point of view (possibly wrong!):

Does anyone really care about the EPC of a property?!

I would (and have) put a lot more weight on seeing the house for myself and talking to the current owner about it's energy/insulation/etc properties, than the pointless EPC someone can create in about 15mins after having a quick poke around a property.

YMMV.

Sponsored Links
for my information, can you direct me to the building regulation that says if I lift floorboards to insulate between the joists, the work is notifiable?

The op is replacing the floorboards, not just lifting.

However, as the op is planning on doing the insulation anyway, that is not notifiable work, so the job itself is not notifiable

for my information, can you direct me to the building regulation that says if I lift floorboards to insulate between the joists, the work is notifiable?

Approved Document L1b, 2010 edition;

page 17; para 5.7 and 5.8

Well I never, that's exactly what it says. I suppose if you need proof you've done it for your PV then getting the council to certify it would do, though I'd not bother otherwise.

The difference is that you don't need to notify BC if you want to insulate your floor, it is not controlled work

What about para 5.7 b. 1?

On your reasoning, then, the section headed 'Renovation of Thermal Elements' means no insulation need be added to any thermal element?

No. Part L requires that when renovating, consideration be given to improving insulation. It is the 25% renovation criteria that brings the work under building control.

If insulating anyway, then the work does not require any notification - unless it's cavity wall insulation

Thanks for the reply's

So my understanding is, If my aim is to insulate, then i dont need to notify, and if my aim is to do something else then i must?

Also i assume it is no different but the reason for replacing the floor will be because it will be too much effort to lift the current floor (T &G) without damaging it or the surrounding areas or cutting it significantly... Easier/quicker for me to cut the boards all over and take them out in small sections, then lay new boards down once insulated... (reason for lifting/replacing is for insulating the floor nothing else)...

Also i assume it is no different but the reason for replacing the floor will be because it will be too much effort to lift the current floor (T &G) without damaging it or the surrounding areas or cutting it significantly... Easier/quicker for me to cut the boards all over and take them out in small sections, then lay new boards down once insulated... (reason for lifting/replacing is for insulating the floor nothing else)...
Just do it, mebbe take some photos as you go and live happily ever after.

Cheers...

Now to find a decent week weather wise so i can empty out the living room!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back