Insulating a Single Skin Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm redecorating/improving my utility room in the back of the garage.

The back wall is approx 2.5m long and is only single brick. There is quite a large dg window in the wall.

I want to insulate this so I'm going to baton the wall with timber and plaster board over.

What would be suitable to insulate the gap? Should there be a bit of an air gap? I'm guessing celotex or similar would be the best bet, but could something like rockwool be used as I have some left over from the loft.

For the plaster board is normal 12mm plaster board OK? Or should I use foil backed or something like that?

I've read a bit about Thermaline - which looks promising but I've struggled to find how to fix it in my situation.

Can you just stick it to the brick wall like you would with plasterboard? Is any other prep needed?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Been thinking about this and the Thermaline may not be the best solution as I need to run some pipe work and a small amount of cabling within the wall space.

In effect the wall will be covered on the lower part by the appliances (+1 cupboard) and a worktop. The window is practically going to be right on top of the worktop.

Then on the wall above there will be a wall cupboard on either side of the window - with tiles between the worktop and the cupboards. Then above the window there will be about 1 foot of plasterboard up to the ceiling.

So there will be sockets in the lower portion of the wall for the appliances. There will also be a double socket above the worktop on the left hand side.

On the right hand side there will be a sink above the cupboard. The pipes currently run down the wall roughly towards the sink. The cold then needs to feed all the way to the left for the washing machine and the cold and hot need to feed the sink.

There will also be waste pipework to fit in for the sink and the washing machine to go behind the appliances

First thing. Is your utility-room heated if it is in the garage ? If you have a clothes-drier, is it vented externally ?

The tumble drier has a vent going through the wall.

There will be a washing machine, a tumble drier and a freezer in there.

The utility room also houses the boiler, and when we had the boiler replaced last year I had a couple of new pipes put in so that we can add a radiator to the utility room.

So as a short answer - yes it will be heated.

Sponsored Links
Whatever you insulate with, you need a vapour barrier. That can either be foil-backed pb with the joins taped or a plastic sheet between the pb and the battens.

If you use fibre-wool there should be an air-gap, fibre to wall but with PS or PIR I don't think you need one. Some people differ on this.

Thanks for the answer.

I think to be safe I'll use polystyrene and then also put plastic sheet on before the plasterboard, or I'll use foil backed pb

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back