Insulating Below Ceiling In Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Made a video of insulating the ceiling below to stop heat rising from the bedrooms below and causing the loft to over heat in the summer and prevent the central heating in the summer sending all the heat to loft from the rooms below and allowing the TRV working at full efficienecy.

Sponsored Links
I've just been doing the same with my ceilings for the same reasons. However I have used 100mm Rockwool RW3 instead which also gives good sound as well as thermal insulation.

Certainly a lot easier to fit and cheaper too probably.

Not really, a thermostat will keep the rooms below at the set temperature, but the heat will still rise into the loft, which will lead to the central heating coming back on to raise the room to the set temperature. The problem is that the loft becomes the trap for the heat across two floors and is already fighting solar gain from the roof tiles.

The more you can slow the heat rising form the rooms below the better, though I'm skeptical that this will make much difference in summer as it's only slowing the heat transfer, it'll likely still get too hot if it was already getting too hot. It'll help the rest of the year though.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back